Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Flywheels??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Default Flywheels??

Getting ready to put in a new Tick package in my sons 01 Z28 (stock LS1). Should I opt for the LWFW or stay with stock weight. The faster revving would be nice but less engine braking.

What's some of your opinions?
Old 07-07-2015, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I went with the 18lb option, no regrets so far, but it's only ever been to one Auto-x.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the lightweight option as well and LOVE it on the road course and the street and hate it at the drag strip.

No worries about less engine braking -- that's what brake pads are for! :-)
Old 07-14-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I took it a step further and went with a light weight pressure plate with my 14 pound flywheel. Awesome for road race, a bit much (but manageable) for Auto-X and street, and probably sucks big time for drag (I don't drag race the car). Launching the car from a dead stop requires some concentration and relatively high revs.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:28 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

depends what you are going to do with the car? drag? autox? street?

i autox so i went with the 18lbs billet monster unit...nice piece. truth be told, the difference in acceleration is barely noticeable compared to the stock 28lb flywheel that was in the car.

their are some arguments for staying with the stock 28lb flywheel as it was engineered that way for a reason. it may not rev as quickly but it will be smoother. smoother cars are easier to drive fast...

as far as the tick is concerned, if you are not racing, i would not go with the adjustable unit as it stiffens the pedal a fair bit...iirc, they make a non-adj. clutch master that has a stock 3/4" bore and uses tilton but they don't advertise it...the latter is most often used for twin disc application since the adj. unit sends too much fluid to the slave.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brigade24
depends what you are going to do with the car? drag? autox? street?

i autox so i went with the 18lbs billet monster unit...nice piece. truth be told, the difference in acceleration is barely noticeable compared to the stock 28lb flywheel that was in the car.

their are some arguments for staying with the stock 28lb flywheel as it was engineered that way for a reason. it may not rev as quickly but it will be smoother. smoother cars are easier to drive fast...

as far as the tick is concerned, if you are not racing, i would not go with the adjustable unit as it stiffens the pedal a fair bit...iirc, they make a non-adj. clutch master that has a stock 3/4" bore and uses tilton but they don't advertise it...the latter is most often used for twin disc application since the adj. unit sends too much fluid to the slave.
That post was chock full of good thoughts.

Interesting (and valid) counter argument to going with the quicker revving lightweight flywheel -- smoother. I could totally see that (however still love the lightweight one).

Regarding the Tick non-adjustable unit -- have you used it? I'm about to pull my hair out with fine tuning my adjustable unit and the pedal is noticeably harder.

Despite it's deficiencies in supporting an aftermarket clutch setup and relatively high RPM shifting, my driving was smoother with the stock MC. The shifts with the Tick are quick and abrupt -- that's certainly supposed to be a performance enhancement, however I'm concerned about how it will upset the balance of the car on track.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight02
That post was chock full of good thoughts.

Interesting (and valid) counter argument to going with the quicker revving lightweight flywheel -- smoother. I could totally see that (however still love the lightweight one).

Regarding the Tick non-adjustable unit -- have you used it? I'm about to pull my hair out with fine tuning my adjustable unit and the pedal is noticeably harder.

Despite it's deficiencies in supporting an aftermarket clutch setup and relatively high RPM shifting, my driving was smoother with the stock MC. The shifts with the Tick are quick and abrupt -- that's certainly supposed to be a performance enhancement, however I'm concerned about how it will upset the balance of the car on track.
it has been my experience so i'm sharing it so ppl don't confuse hype with application. I have adjusted to the lightened flywheel. At high RPM however it requires more work to stay smooth.

i hear yah...it's a pain to get the tick just right. it is significantly more challenging to keep things smooth with this setup as a result of the pedal feel. i've already destroyed a throwout bearing due to sending to much fluid to the slave.

I have not used it but i called tick to ask them about it and they told me that a non-adj. 3/4" bore tilton master cyl. was available for our cars. he also mentioned it was $45 dollars more which makes no sense...either way i am surprised they don't advertise it.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02

This is so weird, Ive never read anyone saying the tick MC made the clutch peddle harder... Makes me nervous now, as I have had a tick MC for like ~20,000 miles and I don't remember the peddle feeling any harder at all, first on the stock clutch setup, and now on an LS7 clutch/Ram flywheel setup (feels really close to stock, flywheel is lighter though).
I also didn't have any trouble adjusting it/fine tuning it. Just followed the instructions and never looked back. I wonder if i got an earlier unit that didn't have these issues that you guys are having? I also had to adjust it pretty close to where the peddle was close to where it was stock to get the clutch to grab and be able to shift at high RPMs. Well hopefully nothing is wrong with mine as Ive had it like this for thousands of miles...
Old 07-17-2015, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I never had a stock master to compare to, and will not have me complaining about the pedal feel of the tick adjustable.

Then again, this is a Tick running a T-5 Clutch and Flywheel on a T-56 transmission. I used the adjustable MC so I could fine tune the engagement point and take any slop out.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
This is so weird, Ive never read anyone saying the tick MC made the clutch peddle harder... Makes me nervous now, as I have had a tick MC for like ~20,000 miles and I don't remember the peddle feeling any harder at all, first on the stock clutch setup, and now on an LS7 clutch/Ram flywheel setup (feels really close to stock, flywheel is lighter though).
I also didn't have any trouble adjusting it/fine tuning it. Just followed the instructions and never looked back. I wonder if i got an earlier unit that didn't have these issues that you guys are having? I also had to adjust it pretty close to where the peddle was close to where it was stock to get the clutch to grab and be able to shift at high RPMs. Well hopefully nothing is wrong with mine as Ive had it like this for thousands of miles...
It may not just be the adj. tick MC in my case. I am running an ML2 clutch for which the pressure plate adds to the pedal's firmness.

I'll go back to the stock MC and do some testing just to see...

Quick Reply: Flywheels??