Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Keep Fbody or go C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some great posts in this thread.

I too, like most people who autocross on a somewhat serious level, have considered switching to a C5. I compete in STU and do very well in my Camaro, so I figure a Corvette will gain me at least a second, maybe more...so I'd be winning. At the end of the day however, it all comes down to not wanting to spend the money. It's not like I'd be going from a car I hate to a car I love. I'd be going from a car I love, to another car I'd probably love, but that's a bit faster autocrossing.

Worth the 6k+? Not at the moment. Plus, in my books anyway, it's not really impressive to do well in STU in a C5 FRC....an Fbody on the other hand? Hell yes.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I should've read the original post more carefully. All of what I said above remains true, however I should've stressed the nice surprise you can expect if you upgrade heads and cam on the LT1.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A good friend of mine that works at a speedshop has a 93 LT1 built a stock heads(valve job+bowl work)+cam+24X car making something like 405rwhp. It was a fully balanced assembly with attention to correctly selected parts and some massaging of the stock heads. Open the hood and you only notice the K&N CAI setup lol. Funny to see people's faces.

While I'm not going the whole "motor removal+balancing" method, I do have hopes (with his help) of getting to around 375+. Car sits right now at 311/340. I'll also be excited to tackle my first "motor build" of removing heads/cam etc. He mentioned for around $1300 in parts(cam/springs/rods/gaskets etc etc) + head machine work ($300-400) + dyno tune it will wake the car up.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've thought about the exact same thing for years. I have spent a lot of time and money making it a double duty car. Its quick, quiet, rides relatively nice, handles well and gets good gas mileage. Dynamat, firebird interior, subtle body and tons of research, trial and error have led to a nice all around sports car. Here is why I still have my Camaro:

-Paid for
-Cheaper insurance, parts and junk yard availability
-Easy to work on in the driveway with jack, no special lift or tools required
-I have two kids and can pack up the whole family, not often but does happen
-Unique inside and out, and under the skin, tons of work, satisfaction of doing all the work myself, its not just like every other car on the road. If I got a C5 Z06, it would stay stock down to the air filter to not open the flood gates.
-C5Z would be faster but I AX for fun and don't have the time or money to really be competitive, time and money better spent behind the wheel
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM
Teching In

The Crown Vic idea has merit as a DD. State Police auctions are a good place to start if you plan on spending $1500 or less. The last auction I attended in May they were going between $1100 to $1700. You probably will not lose any money by keeping the Camaro. If you buy the C5 you may end up taking a hit on resale down the road. Good luck with the Camaro.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, sounds to me just the asking about the C5 you are leaning towards that direction. I can tell you that you will absolutely love a C5, just be sure not to rush and buy one. Do your research and be sure to get a clean one. I had a 2002 Camaro SS 35th LE for 6 years. It was boosted and made nearly 600rwhp and over 600rwtq. I had adjustable shocks and watts link, made the car much more enjoyable...but the first time I road in a stock C5, I learned there is no comparison. Take your time, I see you in a clean C5.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 240 Likes on 170 Posts

Maybe it's me and I'm accustomed to Fbodies, but my sons 01 that we're doing now handles excellent. I've driven all the vettes from the 50's to the new C7's and comparing his car to a C5, the only thing I notice that really makes a difference is the ergonomics. Sitting lower inside the cabin gives a more secure feel.

Now his car has UMI everything minus a watts setup. The DA coilovers help tremendously vs springs/shocks/struts. Even cost was nice. He has about $7,000 in it including the price of the car. But finding the right deals is key.

But when it comes to a C5 ZO6 or C6/C7...no equivalence.

But like I said, It may be me. I prefer the feel of an F-body and especially the ease of working on it. Once the AC and ABS is out of the way, it's heaven.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$ for $ it's a no brainer. You can buy a nice C5 Z06 for high teens and low 20's.

I had $17K in my 99 Z28.

On a set of 5 year old Hankook RS-3's and very limited track time I am as fast at NOLA(8 sessions) and faster at Barber(5 sessions) in a C5 Z06 than I was on R comp slicks in the Camaro. I had 5 years of seat time in the Camaro BTW.

Car is stock, headers intake and tune. Lowered on stock bolts, stainless brake lines and good pads....that's it.

The Z06 is easier on tires and brake pads so far. This may change once I learn the car and push it harder.

You can't cheat physics, the C5 is 50/50 weight, it's 400lbs lighter with a lower CG and independent rear suspension.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
$ for $ it's a no brainer. You can buy a nice C5 Z06 for high teens and low 20's.

I had $17K in my 99 Z28.

On a set of 5 year old Hankook RS-3's and very limited track time I am as fast at NOLA(8 sessions) and faster at Barber(5 sessions) in a C5 Z06 than I was on R comp slicks in the Camaro. I had 5 years of seat time in the Camaro BTW.

Car is stock, headers intake and tune. Lowered on stock bolts, stainless brake lines and good pads....that's it.

The Z06 is easier on tires and brake pads so far. This may change once I learn the car and push it harder.

You can't cheat physics, the C5 is 50/50 weight, it's 400lbs lighter with a lower CG and independent rear suspension.
I have a Z and autocross it with some other Zs in my area and the owners all have told me the tires wear even on the Zs 👍🏽
Old 10-29-2015, 07:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee
I have a Z and autocross it with some other Zs in my area and the owners all have told me the tires wear even on the Zs 👍🏽
Even tire wear has to do with alignment and tire pressures, I got my Camaro to wear tires perfectly. The Z06 I have is wearing tires on the outside edge currently because it needs more camber.

Time will tell how tire wear compares, after I learn more and push harder in the Z06.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Even tire wear has to do with alignment and tire pressures, I got my Camaro to wear tires perfectly. The Z06 I have is wearing tires on the outside edge currently because it needs more camber.

Time will tell how tire wear compares, after I learn more and push harder in the Z06.
My C5Z is super easy on my tires vs my f-body.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost went for a vette when I bought my Z28 a couple weeks back. Perhaps down the road I will get into a Z06, but for right now I'm loving both of my F-bodies, and the newest addition is being set up for GT2/ST.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1st, 2nd and 3rd gen F-Body now has IRS kits available on the market. It suspect it wont be long for a nice 4th gen IRS kits will be available. I'm sure this is the main thing many look for in the C5.

For squeaks and rattles, I'd imagine simply getting a mig welder and stitch welding the panels will help. Also, diagnosing where the rattles are and addressing them will help.

Quick Reply: Keep Fbody or go C5