Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

First track day with new set up.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 142 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve91T
Even without the factory oil cooler that uses engine coolant? That's what I'm talking about.

Yeah I was surprised to see such high oil temps when cruising at 2000 RPM in 6th.

On the track, the oil temps sky rocket immediately but the water temps were pretty good. The most I saw was 230 by the end of the 20 minute session. Most of the time it was on the low 200's.
Yes, you don't need an oil cooler on the street at all. My Corvette ran like 210 on the street with no cooler. With the current blocked cooler, it'll do almost the same, but takes longer to get there since it acts like a heatsink. What are your fans set to? Stock y pipe crossover? Is it wrapped?
Old 04-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Yes, you don't need an oil cooler on the street at all. My Corvette ran like 210 on the street with no cooler. With the current blocked cooler, it'll do almost the same, but takes longer to get there since it acts like a heatsink. What are your fans set to? Stock y pipe crossover? Is it wrapped?
Manual fan switch
180 degree thermostat
Stock Y pipe with header wrap

Water temp stays at 195 measured at the head.

The Y pipe used to be not wrapped and after wrapping I saw zero change in my oil temps. That surprised me, as I was sure it would have made even a small difference.

I really don't know why I have high oil temps. Maybe there's something else going on?
Old 04-28-2016, 08:06 PM
Launching!

So today I had a chance to take the Camaro to Target (I didn't dare use the bathroom). Oil temps used to be about 230-235 with the warm weather we've been having. Now the oil temps stay at 200. Now this was a 10 minute drive with a few lights and max speed of 45 mph. On the way home, I took the back way and was able to cruise at 50 or so. This time I kept the revs above 3k and did a few WOT runs in 2nd and 3rd. Even in cooler weather I was able to see 250+ on the street. After the cooler, the most I saw was 215. Next week I'll take on the highway and see what kind of cooling I get at 80.

My theory is the air in front of the radiator is relatively high pressure. Not ideal for an oil cooler exit. But because the air is moving through the radiator, it's lower pressure than the air in front of the bumper. So while it's not as efficient of a location as possible, it's still going to see a decent amount of airflow. The other advantage is the radiator will have more air passing through it.

What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2016, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good write-up. I may have missed it, what shocks/springs are you using?
Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RidetechJosh
Good write-up. I may have missed it, what shocks/springs are you using?
Koni adjustable front shocks with Afco coil over sleeves. Bilstein rears. 750/250 lb springs
Old 05-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Launching!

Did another track day at the same track this past Friday. The car did fantastic once again. My tires finally were dropping off big time and it must have been in the mid 90's, so the lap times were definitely slower.

A few guys rented the skid pad and had an instructor giving instruction. Being that this was my last day on my tires, I thought it would be a good time to jump in and join them. I had so much fun I didn't even do my last session. It was such a blast and I learned a ton. Just being able to really hang the back end out for as long as I wanted with no fear of hitting something was huge. I highly recommend it if you get the opportunity.

The red C5 was the instructor putting on a show.

Then we had two cars on the skid pad starting at opposite ends. Whoever caught the other won. It was really a challenge trying to find the grip, especially with the wet and dry patches. I obviously lost when I spun, and the instructor did victory donuts in front of me. I giggled like a little girl.

We also set up cones and ran the small chicane and had increasing and decreasing turnes. I could have done this all day. So much fun!!

The next day we got to hang out at my brothers F-16 Air National Guard base and they had an F-16 air show. Here are two videos. My brother flies these things. It's so freaking cool and I'm so proud of him.

Quick Reply: First track day with new set up.