Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Adapting original gauges/electronics to a new engine swap (2000 LT1)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2024, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adapting original gauges/electronics to a new engine swap (2000 LT1)

I recently got my 1 1/2 year long build running well and driving. Nothing on this car has been easy, but I'm going through break-in/shakedown period right now and am adding all of the final touches I need to before it's next race. I scrapped the old engine harness entirely, and used the Fi-Tech EFI Kit (Serial NO. 70002) to replace it. The body harness that I have repaired (if the act of taking out the engine harness interfered with operation of other systems) has preserved the function of all of the system I need such as lights, horn, main fuse/relay boxes etc. Now, I am attempting restore any loss in the gauges that are not working after the swap due to lack of either engine harness or PCM in general. My new standalone comes with a handheld that displays any crucial information that I need aside from oil pressure and fuel level, but in an Ideal world I would like to make the original gauge cluster fully functional again because of it's ease of use and smoother data readouts. Right now, I Only have function of the speedo, voltage meter, odometer, and trip odometer, What's left is is the oil pressure, fuel level gauge, coolant temp, and tachometer. I am Trying to hook up all but the coolant temp gauge (The Handheld is good enough for this, and there is not a direct way to do this). The Tachometer may still yet function, as I have some adjustments and check that I still need to rule out. The Oil Pressure gauge has been fully wired, but I don't think the gauge is compatible with the new sensor. The fuel level gauge (arguably my most urgent need at the moment) is going to be the hardest to solve, as it used to run right through the old pcm. However, this wasn't the case in older versions of the 4th gen Camaro, so I wonder if I can somehow transplant an older circuit instead of the current one, or if I can make a circuit/device to make the gauge capable of reading the signal directly from the fuel level sender without the pcm as the middleman. Any thoughts are welcome. I am aware that most would advise keeping the old pcm, however I had no desire to do such a thing and bother with all of the issues/behaviors that that would have caused.

Here's a pic of the engine bay I painstakingly organized for your trouble

Quick Reply: Adapting original gauges/electronics to a new engine swap (2000 LT1)