Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Crate LS3 + HPDE + sticky street tires, should I be concerned?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 09:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Crate LS3 + HPDE + sticky street tires, should I be concerned?

Just like the title says. I've spun a rod in my H/C LS1 and I am looking for a new engine. I *was* leaning towards a crate LS3 + pan baffle and just over filling the pan, but I've now read a good bit to make me concerned that the only way my engine would survive is a dry sump setup, which makes me lean towards just getting an LS2 short block, putting my heads on it, and getting a dry sump.

Someone enlighten me. I'm looking for an engine that would survive just fine doing 3-5 HPDE events per year on 275 wide sticky street tires.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2016, 03:49 AM
8 Second Club

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

Seen plenty of non dry sump set ups do just fine at high performance events.
Mosts cars I see running are wet sump setups.
What makes you say you can only survive if you go dry sump?
Old 08-29-2016, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

X2. Most of the cars I race with have wet sumps. The ones that have dry sumps, are only dry sump for ground clearance, not specifically for oiling concerns.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you have the cash, for sure an LS2 with the dry sump. It's no comparison.

I've heard lots of people say it's just a matter of luck, or you only hear of the bad stories online...but after losing 2 engines in less than a year all due to lack of oiling I'm personally sold on dry sumps.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AgFormula02
Seen plenty of non dry sump set ups do just fine at high performance events.
Mosts cars I see running are wet sump setups.
What makes you say you can only survive if you go dry sump?
The talk of oil puddling in the heads during extended left hand turns that causes the oil pan to run dry. I've saw reference to extended 1.2G's during a left hand turn specifically. While I may or may not pull 1.2G on ringer street tires naturally, our road course does have off camber turns and up hill and down hill turns that when combined could conceivably result in the same thing.

Mostly I really just dont want to spin another rod bearing. I dont know that I can take it again!
Old 09-01-2016, 09:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

When you say wide sticky tires, are you talking R888's or take-off slicks from a pro team? Have you looked on the Vette forum? There was at least one large thread about the oil pooling in the PS head when G's were over a certain point for a minimum time. Something like 1.2G's for more than 4s comes to mind.

My understanding is that the only solution (short of being less aggressive in your driving behavior) is a dry sump setup with the LS3 heads... overfill, baffle, accusump, lifter tray drain holes... all didn't help. Not sure if anyone's tried using external drain back lines with custom holes on the head.
Old 09-03-2016, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

dont know what Gs i pulled at any time, but i just used the improved racing baffle and 6qts of oil in my LS1, and sent an oil analysis every time i changed, which was once a season, and there was never any extra wear present that indicated loss of oil. and i ran used slicks every time, for years, at most 5 hpdes per season.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You might be able to do the LS3 bottom end with a set of cathedral heads which are compatible with that bore size and a matching FAST intake, if it's in your budget.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts

improve racing oil pan baffle + Melling high pressure oil pump and your golden.

no need for dry sump.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

My car pulls up to 1.4 G's, using Hoosier R6's. I use a dedicated gated road racing pan, remote filter, oil cooler, and Accusump.

The data log shows that the oil pressure never drops below 30psi; and below 40psi only rarely.

A dry sump would be nice for racing, no doubt about that. But, do you need it? Probably not. Dry sump adds weight, cost, and complexity, with more leak and failure points.

Track use without an Accusump is just asking for trouble, IMO. They are inexpensive, simple, and easy to install. Why not?
Old 09-09-2016, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

What Bob said. I can get into my accusump reserve on an autoX course with a 7 qt baffled pan and a crank scraper, which is nowhere close to road course levels of G force. It's cheap insurance. Total oil capacity now, between filter/pan/lines/oil cooler/accusump is just a hair over 10 quarts.

Dry sump would greatly improve oil consumption and windage, but it isn't a necessity. Just be prepared to burn a little oil over a 20 minute hpde.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Improved Racing pan baffle for sure, while you're there add a crank scrapper. Other tricks include drilling the lifter trays half way down to reduce the amount of oil they hold, reduced orifice pushrods. Pm me for a discount code for Improved if you go that way, they sponsor me in the Optima Challenge this year.

Quick Reply: Crate LS3 + HPDE + sticky street tires, should I be concerned?