Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any S197 Mustang swaps out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 02:50 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any S197 Mustang swaps out there?

I've got an '04 Mustang I was wanting to swap but kinda started switching to the S197 platform instead. The main issue is I've found maybe 1 or 2 people that have done it. What's up with that? Is there something in particular the made the S197 undesirable for this swap?
Old 07-26-2016, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There was a build thread on here a few years ago where a guy was doing it, but I don't know if he ever even finished. He kinda fell off the planet.

I had one, and personally I don't think I would swap it unless I blew the motor. The 4.6 isn't the best motor by far, but with a tune they are something like 330hp at the crank, which is similar to a 5.3 or 6.0. Would be easier just to modify the 4.6 I think. It might be more cost effective to mod an LS, but the cost involved in the swap probably negates that advantage. That is likely why there are so few S197 swaps.

Man I miss that car!

Old 07-26-2016, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

S197 platform is ugly. Keep the SN95 and swap it. Companies make parts to bolt an LS motor in one.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM
Launching!

I figured there would be people swapping the v6s at least. I wonder if the DBW pedals used in these make it more difficult?
And I don't think they're ugly, especially the ones with the Cervinis kit (Eleanor style).
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM
8 Second Club

Here you go. Mind you this build was designed more towards a dedicated minimalist race car but it turned out to be very street friendly.
The most difficult part was fabricating the headers due to the S197 rear strut mount takes up a lot of valuable space. The drive by wire was replaced with a fox body pedal and easy to fab mounting plate. The car weighs 3150 full tank with out me in it.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/cobra...016-drag-week/
Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

^^ Thanks. Would a build thread be possible?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:16 AM
8 Second Club

I'll get some pics and info together and focus the more difficult parts of the build. Would you like to see this continued in this thread or a new one?
Old 10-31-2016, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sctrance
I'll get some pics and info together and focus the more difficult parts of the build. Would you like to see this continued in this thread or a new one?
Thanks. Either would be great but a new thread would lend itself to a proper thread title.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I am about to undertake this swap in my 2007. I would be interested in a build thread as well. I like how much room there is in the engine bay with the LS. Plus, its a lot more affordable imo. The 4.6l block has been discontinued by ford,keeping the prices high even for salvage engines. The coyote is still way above my budget. I'm curios if you kept the SBJ and what you did for the trans cross-member. how far off was the stock trans cross member? also what was required to use the gm PS pump on the for rack?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:01 PM
8 Second Club

Sorry for not posting the build yet, underwent cervical fusion so have been out of the shop for a while. Will start getting pics and info together and get it done.
For now go to my post above and use the article link to check out the build, there are 19 pics that might help.
The transmission is a power glide with a Gear vendors, cross member is simple to build no matter what tranny is used because the floor pan has many mounting hole options and the cross member is basically flat when the GM mount it is mounted inside the exhaust area so not exhaust to route around.
The GM F body steering pump is about 50psi less than the Ford, works just fine. There is a ebay seller with -6 rack fittings for same years Ford Focus, same clamp retained fitting as used in the S197.
From there just need a -6 hose kit for an F body, several manufacturers make them.
Tons of room for the LS and anything you might want to hang off it. Headers will be the most work, nothing out there is even close because of the rear strut mount unique to the S197. I built my own for an NA motor, turbo plumbing would be no problem.
The AJE rack and optional mounts makes the motor a bolt in.

Quick Reply: Any S197 Mustang swaps out there?