General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Exciter wire issue or alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exciter wire issue or alternator?

I had the alternator go out on my 00 trans am.. ordered a new one online and installed this weekend. still not charging...

i know its poss to get a bad new alternator but... i know the exciter wire is easy to mess up since its hard getting out..etc.. is there a way to test the exciter wire?

any help is appreciated.
Old 09-28-2016, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you hook up the serpentine belt?

the 1 wire that's on the 4-pin plug that plugs in to the alternator,
is the "turn on" signal from the PCM and is 5 volts.
what you can do is use a multimeter to check voltage on it,
hardest part would be cutting/splicing into the wire where you can reach it when the engine is running.

if you have 5v per your volt meter then either the 4-pin plug going in to the new alternator is bad and not making contact. you can buy a universal GM 4-pin alternator plug and install for $10.
otherwise you may have either a bad alternator or the wrong alternator.

if you don't have 5v then the pcm for whatever reason has not commanded the alternator to charge, so look elsewhere for the cause of the problem it's not the alternator.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by okiels1
I had the alternator go out on my 00 trans am.. ordered a new one online and installed this weekend. still not charging...

i know its poss to get a bad new alternator but... i know the exciter wire is easy to mess up since its hard getting out..etc.. is there a way to test the exciter wire?

any help is appreciated.
Just wondering what brand of Alternators are you running?
Are you sure they are BRAND NEW?
Most off the shelf BRAND alternators are crap, save for Delco. I know you got yours online though. Anything reman is asking for trouble. I just went and bit the bullet and bought a Powermaster.

Originally Posted by 1 FMF
did you hook up the serpentine belt?

the 1 wire that's on the 4-pin plug that plugs in to the alternator,
is the "turn on" signal from the PCM and is 5 volts.
what you can do is use a multimeter to check voltage on it,
hardest part would be cutting/splicing into the wire where you can reach it when the engine is running.

if you have 5v per your volt meter then either the 4-pin plug going in to the new alternator is bad and not making contact. you can buy a universal GM 4-pin alternator plug and install for $10.
otherwise you may have either a bad alternator or the wrong alternator.

if you don't have 5v then the pcm for whatever reason has not commanded the alternator to charge, so look elsewhere for the cause of the problem it's not the alternator.
Its actually entirely possibly to move the exiter wire to a testable position. It follows the same path that the coolant temp sensor wire follows, after removing it from the alternator, should beable to pull it up far enough to test it.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:17 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My PepBoys brand alternator.....8 years and going strong. Lifetime warranty too.. So I'll never pay for another alternator again.

I won't buy certain parts anymore like water pump, starter, alternator without a lifetime warranty.

My A/C compressor that I bought like 9 years ago from the dealership also has a lifetime warranty. If you buy at the right places you can have a lifetime warranty on all this little **** and never have to buy them again....just put in the little time to takes to swap them out when they fail.

I've already had two brand new AC Delco compressors replaced under my lifetime parts and labor warranty on my A/C system, on my second free water pump too. When my alternator fails, 15 minutes to swap it out and FREE of Charge.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
I've already had two brand new AC Delco compressors replaced under my lifetime parts and labor warranty on my A/C system, on my second free water pump too. When my alternator fails, 15 minutes to swap it out and FREE of Charge.

I never knew Pepboys had such great alternators. Since they have a lifetime Warranty if I ever need to get another one should my powermaster fail then I'll get a truck alternator from them.

I should note though, that alternator is a PITA to get to >_> I can swap it out in about 30 - 45 minutes realistically taking my time but its a real tight space. I have transmission lines and braided power steering lines in the way too so if you have an M6 its probably alot easier for you because my trans lines go right under it. I just hate that the thing is on the bottom of the engine because the only way to get to it is from underneith. Why couldnt they put it at the top where the P.S. pump is... oh well, is what it is.

Most shops I have I gotten estimates from want to remove my radiator and fan assembly before they will touch anything on the drive belt.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Need4Camaro
I never knew Pepboys had such great alternators. Since they have a lifetime Warranty if I ever need to get another one should my powermaster fail then I'll get a truck alternator from them.

I should note though, that alternator is a PITA to get to >_> I can swap it out in about 30 - 45 minutes realistically taking my time but its a real tight space. I have transmission lines and braided power steering lines in the way too so if you have an M6 its probably alot easier for you because my trans lines go right under it. I just hate that the thing is on the bottom of the engine because the only way to get to it is from underneith. Why couldnt they put it at the top where the P.S. pump is... oh well, is what it is.

Most shops I have I gotten estimates from want to remove my radiator and fan assembly before they will touch anything on the drive belt.
Didn't know M6s were different. My alternator is out and back in....maybe 15 minutes the entire job.

Wow...a shop that wants to take the radiator and condensor out....either they suck or they just want extra labor hours.

But yes.....PepBoys brand....I think its called ProStart......good stuff. And again...free replacements for life.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS6427
Didn't know M6s were different. My alternator is out and back in....maybe 15 minutes the entire job.

Wow...a shop that wants to take the radiator and condensor out....either they suck or they just want extra labor hours.

But yes.....PepBoys brand....I think its called ProStart......good stuff. And again...free replacements for life.

I'll go with that next go round and just get a truck alternator from them if I ever need a replacement. Yeah most shops just want to rake me for labor because they see I'm a computer nerd / IT tech and I'm short and skinny so they think I don't have a clue about auto mechanics and my wallets are just filled with christmas presents for them... I never really needed a shop for anything on the accessory drive. First time I took that alternator out though, took forever. Now I know how to manuever it and saves alot of time. I did alot of simple repair stuff on this car without needing a shop. The only simple job that required me to tow it to a shop was a tuneup. Passenger side spark plug wire broke while trying to remove it and after prying and pulling and using every tool in the book, it just would not come off... I did more than half the tuneup at that point. I was actually 100% successful on my 01 Z28 back in 07 when I did it, but for some reason just couldnt do it on my 99.

And yeah. A4's are different because they have transmission cooler lines where as M6's do not. The trans cooler lines are literally mounted to the bottom bolt of the alternator and curve right infront of the dang thing in an L shape to go to the radiator and because of them, you have to manuever it just right to get it out the bottom of the car and it also makes it a pain when trying to manuever it back into the car.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-01-2016 at 02:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Exciter wire issue or alternator?