Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

My Engine Thoughts. Need Cam Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Thoughts. Need Cam Help!

First things first I am looking for about 300-400 Hp. Anywhere in that range would be more then adequate for me.

Okay here we go. I am thinking about buying a 350 that has had all its machine work done and is still at standard bore. The stock Pistons and rods and crank are all ready worked on and its ready to be put back together.

I was thinking about heads similar to these:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

BTW whats makes vortec heads so great that it seems as though alot of people desire them? And if they are great why are they basically the cheaper heads summit sells?

I am looking for suggestions on the cam to use with this set up. Please let me know if I am going down the right track with this.
Old 11-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vortec heads have a small runner that makes for some GREAT port volecity, they also have a heart shaped chamber that promotes quicker and more complete combustion. You can make very good power with them but you need to do some machine work if they are stock out of the box castings. When using a cam over .480"ish lift because the spring retainers like to contact the valve guides in most cases.

As far as camshaft if you only want 300-400hp a Comp Cams 280 will do the trick or the Summit version is cheap and same spec at 230@.050" and .480" lift and it sounds KILLER at idle. The Edelbrock Performer RPM cam is also a great choice and will make 425hp in a 350 with 10:1 and some decent heads, Summit also has its twin for $79.95 cam&lifters specs are .488"/.510" 234*/244*@.050 and also sounds great....

I'd shy away from the Vortec heads even though they seem a bargin, you need a Vortec intake, and unless their equipped with screw in studs and guide plates you'll need a set of self-aligning rocker arms. Spend a little more and get some World S/R Torquer heads or even some Dart heads if you can, they can be found very cheap on eBay or racingjunk.com and will make you a happy man whenever you stab the loud pedal....

Hope this helps, feel free to shoot me a PM if you have a specific question or feel I left something out....
Old 11-22-2008, 10:31 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

The vortec heads are cheap but make decent flow numbers, i got a couple sets for next to nothing and had the machine work done, which was not big deal, but buying a brand new set and then having them studded and worked over is just not smart, as Overkill stated, the intakes are cheap but if you do not have a intake it will not hold you back since you will need one anyway. Are you on a budget? I always recommend roller cams for any SBC setup, lass hassle, make more power but are more expensive.

Quick Reply: My Engine Thoughts. Need Cam Help!