Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

383 t56 swap...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 383 t56 swap...

I have an 87 trans am with a 383 sbc and a t56. I should have around 500 horses and its carbed. The body on my car is flawless, brand new paint job, cowl hood etc. Interior is amazing.

BUT, i really want another truck. I like having a car that i get compliments from everyone, but like i said, a truck would be very useful. Im thinking about swapping the power train into an older chevy. Im not sure which generation yet, but ive narrowed it down to either a 89-98 silverado or an older c10 such as a 68. I definitely want a standard cab swb truck and one that came with a manual, so i wouldnt have to hang the clutch and go through so much pain as i did with the auto to manual swap with the firebird. I may also be interested in a newer silverado such as a 99-05 if i can find one with a blown v6, but then again emission laws would suck because of swapping an older engine in a newer truck....

So now you know the story, im really wanting this to go smooth with no alot of work. I know the 383 will bolt up easily because they came with them mostly, but the t56 is the worry. How much work will it take for the ones i listed to accept a t56? Im low on funds currently, i would have to sell my car as a roller and buy the truck. I should hopefully get about $4500 for mine as a roller considering the 4th gen rear end, brand new suspension, subframes, new paint, cowl hood just to name a few things...

Anyway thanks for the answers!

Quick Reply: 383 t56 swap...