Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight

Im just curious if anybody who has big blocks in there cars have the actually weight of there vehicle and what has been done if anything to make the load much lighter. SBC feel free to post up your weight and what you have done to get to your current weight.

I don't know what my actually weight is but i have the bbc/sbc k member for my big block. All wiring and computers have been removed. Air bags are removed and so are all of my heating and cooling items. No more power steering rack as well. Fiber glass hood which i am sure most have.

But I added a TH400 and a dana s60 to gain my pounds back.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

What car? Kind of hard to know what you can remove when I we dont know what your talking about.

Remove anything thats bolted down that you dont need to run your car. Wipers, wiper motors, wiper box, rear seats, any accessories, back seats, seatbelts, useless supports, etc

Money mods: Lexan windows, fiberglass parts, tubular parts, aluminum parts.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:37 PM
Staging Lane

I will be more specific.
Type of modern-day sports car:
(ie: camaro, firebird, trans am, corvette etc)

Swap:
(ie: engine type, tranny type, rear end type)

Things that made the car lighter:
(ie: Kmember, air bag remove, lightweight glass)

Total weight:
(explains itself)

For me its:
1998 camaro
502 big block, TH400 tranny, dana s60 rear
made the car weigh less by using a k member, removing power and electrically everything, air bags and such. My cars not a full strip car. Just curious to see what others have done

Last edited by Campton; 06-02-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: More information
Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't done much myself but here is some references as to what some people have done and what can be done.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...y-updated.html <--should be relevant to your car if your looking to lose some more weight.

Also if you have ever checked out the Texas Speed Camaro it is a 4th gen that they have gotten down to 2800lbs with driver.

There is also one thread which I cant find right now but he took the sawzall to almost every part of his car lol.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

Hey Bowtie, I'm not for ideas on how to make my car weigh less. I have the list already. I am more so curious of what the new weight of peoples cars who that have done a sbc/bbc swap. Were most able to stay around the standard weight of an LS1 or where more people stuck with there weighing a ton now? Thanx for the information about the Texas Speed car tho. I read about the guy who too a sawzall to his car and drilled wholes in 80% of the metal in the frame lol.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Ok, here is what I was looking for : https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...eavy-list.html.

But this is only LSX and LTX cars. I was hoping to get some informaiton on SBC/BBC cars that are heavy rollers.

Quick Reply: Weight