Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

388 stroker advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 388 stroker advice

Alright, I am a full time college student so I am going to build this motor on my own to save money (have 2g's to spend on building the actual motor). My dad is performance/race car mechanic but he hasn't built a performance motor in I don't know how many years.(used to work at Xtreme hp)
With all of that said here is what I have: factory 5.7l 350 sbc, bored 60 over with a zero deck height ( all of this was required to clean the block up ), has been align honed, and has billet four bolt main caps with arp studs. I have a set of ported and polished Brodix 11x heads that flow apprx. 317 cfm, The heads need new valves but they have triple coil springs, new seats, I have a set of brand new harland sharp 1.7 roller rockers, mechanical roller lifters ( I want to do a full roller setup, block was a factory roller motor). I have an Edelbrock high rise Super Vic intake (currently stock, want to have it port matched to the heads), and a Dominator 1100 to go on top of it. I am going to run a MSD ignition system with a pro-billet dist ( i need a cap, have dist and 6AL box). I am looking for recomendations on what internals to run and what type of compression to run.
I am putting this in to a 57 chevy 210 with 21.5" mickey t's under the back. I am going to have the whole body smoothed. I am planning to run a T56 tranny when I can afford one ( prob start with a 400 turbo to just get it running.) prob going to run either 3.73 or 4.10 gears with a posi or locker in it. I am using this mainly as a street machine would like to make a few passes at the track but nothing serious. the goal is to make 500hp but I doubt it is possible, and I want to run pump gas.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

I am pretty sure I am going to run all forged internals, I don't see a reason why not, I am just trying to figure out which brand would be the best to run on my budget and goals? scat, eagle, compstar etc? I am trying not to spend the entire 2k on the internals, I still need an oil pump and a carb rebuild kit. so....
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Get the compression to 11:1. and you will have no problem getting 500 hp out of..more like 550 or so...

Callies, or Scat are really good for internals.. I would stay away from Eagle stuff, its cheap for a reason. I know a lot of people run them, but the quality isnt as nice IMO.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Look into ohio crankshafts forged internal pieces
Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

By the way you are not going to need a 1100 dominator for that motor. I must ask also, why do you want to do a mechanical roller setup but then you say it will be a street machine. Why not make it hydraulic roller and be maintenance free? You can reach you goals with a decent hydraulic roller.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM
Staging Lane

that would be part of the budget issue, i have a full roller set up and it requires nothing else to be purchased to run it.

Quick Reply: 388 stroker advice