Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

sbc electronic ignition system

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sbc electronic ignition system

I was just wondering it anyone has ever ran this setup. I currently have a full msd setup down to the wire and a msd digital 6 box but thought this was pretty cool. It also seems to have a higher voltage output and less parts so maybe I'll get better gas mileage more power and a cleaner setup.

http://www.compu-tronix.com/DIS8.htm
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me help you with this. It's junk compared to your present system. I hope someone wants to argue this with me

Al 95 Z28
Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Big Al
Let me help you with this. It's junk compared to your present system. I hope someone wants to argue this with me

Al 95 Z28
would you mind giving alittle more detail as to why you feel this way
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t6378tp
would you mind giving alittle more detail as to why you feel this way
The reason an MSD is good is it's a capacitive discharge system. All that means to us is the rise time of the spark voltage is very quick. The multi-coil system you linked to is not. There are capacitive discharge multi coil systems, MSD makes some but the one you linked to is not. Most of their claims while true offer no benefits over your system. One example. They claim the dwell time is longer because they have four coils doing the work of one. This is true, but CD ignitions do not charge the coil's core like their system and there is no "dwell." BTW: Dwell is the time the battery voltage is connected to the coil charging the core. When the battery is disconnected the magnetic field around the core collapses and the spark happens. An MSD fires the coil on inrush current not field collapse. Just Google the benefits of capacitive discharge ignition.

BTW, I have a system like that on my Mustang and have lots of experience with it. Go to a drag strip and look under the hood of the serious cars and see what's making their sparks.

Al 95 Z28 w/ MSD 6AL, 73 Nova 6AL, 62 Chevy II 6AL, 73 Camaro 7AL and 86 Mustang with multiple coil set up.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM
12 Second Club

cool thanks for the info

Quick Reply: sbc electronic ignition system