Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Twin turbo 502 big block chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin turbo 502 big block chevy

Hey I'm building a 1970 camaro and I am wanting to do a twin 78 mm turbo set up on my 502 big block chevy. Really don't know anything about turbos and would like some info on what would be best. The motor is a 502 crate motor so pretty much bone stock. I want to know what I need to do to the motor and a list. I want 1500hp/tq or more. Help losing my mind.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:37 PM
On The Tree

First off your block probably wont be able to handle much past 6-8 lbs of boost without cracking a cylinder wall. (Unless you have an aftermarket block like world or Dart)You will need forged internals . Crank, rods, pistons and lower compression then that crate motor has. It will cost you more to make your 502 crate motor handle boost then to start off fresh with a new short block built for boost. If this is a street car, you probably won't be able to see 1500 hp without race gas. Sorry if this is bad news. Twin turbo big blocks are a very very expensive way to go. Your better off boosting a smaller ls engine. You can make more power with smaller displacement .
Old 02-12-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

There are a number of ppl out there running 2,000 hp on pump gas. These are not cheap setups nor are they short on experience and testing.

If I recall correctly the 502 crate engines have pretty low compression, just right for boost. If they are bowtie blocks they are quite strong enough for that kind of power. I do know the ring gap would be your first issue. They have forged pistons, good rods, and a forged crank from GM. Not quite what I would build for 1500 hp but would do well breaking into the 4 digit category. Assembly, blueprinting, and tune are everything

Quick Reply: Twin turbo 502 big block chevy