Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

8.1 knock sensor relocate

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 01:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.1 knock sensor relocate

Does anybody know if the left side knock sensor can be repositioned on my 2001 vortec 8.1, The headers that i have fitted have smashed the original & i will have to loosen them to get the damaged one out ??????????
Old 10-26-2014, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's hard to say..I haven't done it and haven't sen a lot of 8.1 activity around here. There is a big block forum here though..and I believe the 8.1 is much more a BBC compared to LS vs SBC. The sensors are, in theory, optimally positioned to detect knock. Is there another hole somewhere near that you think you could use? If you have to move it quite far, you may need to adjust knock sensor sensitivity in the tune. It occurs to me that you would want to relocate both sides similarly in that case, so that one could more easily dial in sensitivity.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:48 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercier
There is a big block forum here though..and I believe the 8.1 is much more a BBC compared to LS vs SBC.
Correct. 8.1 496ci is a big block "Vortec 8100". I will move this thread accordingly.

Quick Reply: 8.1 knock sensor relocate