Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

OBD1.5 Simple Question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD1.5 Simple Question?

So, I have the dreaded OBD1.5 system and I got an SES light on as well as other lights. Anyways I know that the system has an OBD1 computer with a OBD2 16 pin connector.

I plan to download some OBD1 Software for my laptop and use an adapter. I found a specific adapter that says it is an "ALDL 16 pin OBD1 USB adapter." Well its like 60 bucks and Ill get it if I cant find something else.

Anyways, My question is if I get an "OBD2 16 pin USB adapter," because it's only like $7, will it still function the same? I assume it is.
Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Default Obd 1.5

Well no one replied to this and I figured it out myself, so I'm just going to post what I did to help others with 94, 95's Camaro's and Firebird's.

So Instead of going to a shop and being charged $100 to read one measly trouble code. Just build your own 1.5 scanner yourself.

You will need 3 things:
1. A scanning program on a USB capable computer.
2. A USB Cord with a special connector on the end
3. A 16- pin connector for 95 models and i think a 12- pin connector for 94's (Not 100% sure though so don't quote me).

Here's what I bought and their locations. It's cheap!

First off big shout out to GaryDoug from camaroz28.com. I learned all this from his helpful post.

He made free software for us F-Body owners and it can be found here. Its easy to use! http://www.mediafire.com/?0elo4c935uc5s

Next the USB cord. Go to ebay and search "6pin USB RS232 Arduino Cable." It'll be the first one! Like five dollars.

Last the connector! 12 pin for 94's, 16 pin for 95's. Go to ebay and search "Universal Male OBD2 16 Pin Connector." like three dolars!

10 Dollars maybe?

Finally make magic. You need to solder the usb's arduino wires onto the connector and seal it up.

Black wire gets split into two wires and one piece goes to pin 4 and the other to pin 5.

The white wire and the green wire get spliced together and soldered to pin 9.

And thats all! Seal it up and plug and play.

Once again all credit to GaryDoug!
Old 01-03-2016, 09:24 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the great info. Like you, I was looking at buying an USB-compatible cable off Ebay. Glad I saw you post first though! Thanks again!
Old 01-04-2016, 12:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mr.beachcomber
Thanks for the great info. Like you, I was looking at buying an USB-compatible cable off Ebay. Glad I saw you post first though! Thanks again!
Hey, no problem buddy! I've figured out a bunch of handy info for these cars in the past few months that's not easily available like the newer cars. I plan to keep posting!

Quick Reply: OBD1.5 Simple Question?