Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Holley Projection tuning on a 283 V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holley Projection tuning on a 283 V8

This is to help my Father with a problem he has with his V8 CJ5 Jeep

Here is the set up: 283ci SBC V8/ TH350 trans. Its fed by a Holley Projection fuel injection with a 650 CFM 2brl throttle body. Shorty headers and HEI ignition. Also has a closed loop system which is the addition of o2 sensors. I don’t know the cam specs, all he told me is that its a “RV” cam. So I’m guessing it’s a low RPM range cam.

Here is the problem: It has a very bed stumble when accelerating from idle. We have tried advancing and retarding the timing everywhere from 4 degrees to 12. Same story every time. The ECU has 5 dials to set fuel ratios and idle mixtures. We have played around with these also, from leaning it out to fouling the plugs, all with the same stumble off idle.

I think that, what it all comes down to is that we are just playing around and don’t really know how to fine tune this. Or that maybe 650 CFM may be too much for the little 283.
If anyone knows of a proper procedure or method please let me know. Also, if anyone has any experience in dealing with this kind of set up please let me know. Thanks in advance, Josh.