Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

head gasket ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket ?

What are the best head gaskets to run on a 11:1 cast iron headed small block?I have been told to buy the fel-pro mls gaskets,are these the ones that have the silicone ring around all the holes and outlined?If they are does the silicone go around each cylinder hole too?I had a blow -out between #4and #6.When I pulled the heads I noticed a 1/2" black line between the cylinders on the block and on the bottom of the gasket.I used a fel-pro gasket from a stock gasket set.Hell I didnt even know I had blown out the gasket untill I popped off the head.Maybe that was where that miss was coming from that I cant find.I ran the compression and it was fine but I didnt do a leak down test.Anyway is there a gasket that someone highly recommends?
One more thing is their a top and bottom to the head gasket?Does it matter which way they go?Thanks.
Old 01-02-2008, 05:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Run a set of felpro 1003 head gaskets.Ive run these up to 13.5-1 comp and nitrous with no problems.Plus they will seal good even if you have a couple of imperfections in the seal surface.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

1003, that sounds great.Why do they recommend NOT to spray copper coat on regular head gaskets only on steel shims?Could I spray them with a light coat only where they blew out before?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No need to spray the head gaskets,they will seal just fine.The reason you need to spray steel shim gaskets is to seal the water passages since the steel gasket doesnt compress to fill any kind of imperfection.Just take a staight edge and make sure there is no low spots where your old head gasket blew out.if its ok,you are good to go.Just make sure you are using some good quality head bolts like ARP's
Old 01-02-2008, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Check your block as some of the GM blocks need a an extra hole drilled in both decks I have a pic if needed.

Quick Reply: head gasket ?