Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Old Cars and Alternative Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Old Cars and Alternative Fuel

I have been looking into maybe getting an older car rather than a newer one. I have been looking at 1967-1973 Muscle Cars (except the corvette which would be 1969-1976 if I could find one cheap enough). The car wouldn't have to look real good (going for the powerful sleeper look) but with all this news going around about alternative fuels and the new emissions restrictons (Not that they would affect those cars) I am getting worried about being able to drive older cars from those years. Obviously then engines from back then were not meant to run on ethanol, and it is becoming extremely difficult around me at least, to find gas stations that offer pure gasoline mixtures that have no ethaniol in them. Every station around here is either on 10% ethanol and some are up to 15%. Would older cars be able to run on this stuff or not? What would have to be done in order so that they could be ran?

PS- I love our country but it is going down the tubes quick IMO. All this stuff about 35mpg average on cars is BS. Not being able to use regular lightbulbs anymore...BS -- Just my $.02

I would love to get an old car that just to spite these ridiculous laws.

If this thread doesn't go in this section please move it
Old 01-16-2008, 01:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All you need is a carb calibrated to the fuel you're going to run (there are several E85 compatible carbs available right now). Then just make sure everything in your fuel system can withstand the corrosiveness of alcohol (like fuel pump, tank & lines) and you're good to go!

Quick Reply: Old Cars and Alternative Fuel