Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

eagle stroker kits quality?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eagle stroker kits quality?

well, heres my problem. I wanted to stick to the basics of building a nice smallblock for my ss monte. I was originally planning on 350 horse give or take a few. I bought a used tbi engine out of a 90 model blazer. I bought it because it had the provision for the roller cam. I was gonna punch it 30, put a nice roller cam in it with some vortec heads. Well, i tore this thing down and low and behold the crankshaft is fubared. It spun a rod bearing and destroyed the journal. Now, since i have to buy a new or non tore up original crank, i figured hell why not just buy a new rotating assembly and put it together. I know that eagle and scat and such are not great quality products, but this is going in a street car that will probably never see track time. I will hot rod it quite a bit, but its not like it has to be a ***** out forged setup. The price difference between just the standard 355 and 383 are a few hundred bucks. Are these kits decent? I really need to talk to the machine shop on the price difference between putting the stroker together vs the regular 350. Im going to have them to the shortblock and ill put the rest together.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What makes you think ESP and Scat are not quality parts? I've been very impressed with Eagle parts i've used in my SBC marine motors. These marine motors are worked harder than any auto motor. We hold these engines WOT for 5-6 mins at times. Comparable to driving your car up a 9% grade for 5 mins at WOT. The last two ESP 4340 cranks I used were very nice pieces that balanced out great. The last set of 6" H beams were right on in the big and small ends and balanced out to less than 1 gram out of the box. With their 4340 kits you normally get top quality pistons from Mahle, SRP, JE so whats not to like.

BTW the little difference in price between the 350 and 383 is negligible. Stroker all the way. You will kick yourself in the butt afterwards if you build a 350.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i kind of worded that wrong. I did not mean to imply they were "bad" parts. Hell, I have no idea of the quality, which is why i asked. What i meant was they are among the cheapest of the kits out there. I didn't want to spend the money on one and find out the hard way it's a pos. Ive heard of people calling them chinese crap so i wanted to get some FIRST hand info from you guys that have used them. I figured for what I was doing, they would work out fine.