Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

wrecked last night

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wrecked last night

I had a bad wreck last night, just 2 days after I got the car running I was on 71N in Columbus going for a drive with my fiancée, T-tops off cruising along messing with this 05+ GT. Nothing came of the toying with him but I decided to get into it, literally for the first time, winding out 2nd, witch all happened very quick. No spray. When I shifted to 3rd the rear end broke loose and I fought with it until it was against the inside wall still going straight. Now the rear end kicks back out to the left and puts the car on its passenger side door, wheels on the wall. It all happened so fast but it seemed like it was in slow motion, at this point I realize there is no reason to try to control anything, its not going to happen. I look over at Sara and she's not there, I look to the back seat and shes not there. That's when panic set in. At that point the car rolled onto its top and now I'm grinding my back down the road with a car around me riding where the driver side T-top should be. The car comes to a rest, I hit the fuel and ignition switches, kick the door open cause the top is collapsed and I can get out the window/top. I look lost a shoe in all this but I sprinted as fast as I could the 100yds back to Sara,sitting, screaming, bloody in the fast lane. I didnt even glance at the car or notice my pain, there was only one thing on my mind. I grab her up and lay her on the wall. We got pressure on where she was bleeding and waited for the ambulance. After they got her into the squad I collapsed and they had to go through all the neck brace, IV, lights and sirens to the ER that I just got done watching them do to her.

I have a separated collar bone, and some road rash, I'm out of the hospital now though. Sara is expected to get released Saturday, she has bad road rash on both arms, both hands, EXTREMELY BAD on her face, bad on her legs, only on the knee and foot on the left though. Right leg is bad as is the foot. She has it on her right hip and stomach. She is also now missing the right ring finger between the first and second joint and the small finger above the top joint, I haven't scene this yet though as it took surgery to fix and its bandaged for 2 weeks. No broken bones or internal injuries though and no head trauma even with the bad scraping on her face.

Anyway its all my fault, there isn't words to describe how I feel. I wish I was the one that got the short end of the stick. Its so hard to stand by her and look at the pain shes in. She's not the least bit upset either, I cant forgive myself but she had no problem letting it go.

She should be dead, really me too but I somehow managed to stay in the car, as I'm sure you figured out we're both idiots and weren't wearing seat-belts.

I'm not much of a praying man but if you then I ask of you, please include Sara in your prayers. Shes rough right now and its going to take a long time for her to recover.

As for the car all I've scene of it was a cell phone video with 3 seconds of the car upside down at the scene. Like I said I didn't look back at it on my way to her. I'll pick it up with a tow truck tomorrow or Saturday and get it home, its totaled but I can strip it and build something new.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 PM
10 Second Club

wow.

GL brother
Old 09-04-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Regular

thats why they put seatbelts in these cars. hate it happened but atleast you are both alive to talk about it.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry Man. I can relate somewhat to how you are feeling as I was in a wreck a couple of years back in my first car, not an f-body, and my girlfriend also got the short end of the stick and had some broken bones in her face and is now blind out of one of her eyes becuase of it. There is no words that can describe how you feel looking at someone close to you who is sitting there bleeding and in pain and knowing that you were responsible. I was also the one who felt like **** and her saying everything was fine. Just wish it could have been the other way around. My prayers go out to the both of you and I wish her the best of luck with her recovery!!!
Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

oh **** man... glad to hear everyone is ok, and prayers go out.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully you will learn a lot from what happend.

I almost wrecked my car and myself at the same time and I gave up doing the stupid stuff.

Glad you guys are ok.

P.S. If you are going to do something stupid make sure you are the only one in the car so you don't do a Nick Hogan or worse.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

look dude its like this..... it was an accident, you may have been playing around but people do it and originally you guys were just trying to have a little fun.... the main thing is a seat belt should be worn at all times especially if you guys were testing the car out..... im not trying to judge you but there is no way i would press down the gas in a fast car without atleast making sure my wife had the seat belt on so there where the big mistake here is not you wrecking the car cause poeple wreck cars all the time.... yeah maybe you shouldnt have been playing around testing it out on the street but you did and all of these guys have done it im sure too along with me.... but from here on out never let anyone get in the car without putting a seat belt on and also you as well.... like i say thank the good lord your soon to be wife is still here and alive or else you would have probly been meeting up with here within months after the depression setted in if she was killed..... like i say i understand how you feel and also understand this was totally an accident so dont be too hard on yourself cause these scars and ect will heal and people will forget about this before you know it..... just learn a BIG lesson and pass it on to everyone you come in contact with about how serious seat belts are so this didnt happen for nothing..... you can help others realize how important it is just to simply put on a seat belt.....

BTW sorry for getting a little deep there but i have a wife and family so it kinda hits me hard to hear you almost lost your soon to be wife...... jake
Old 09-05-2008, 04:05 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, i do not go anywhere without a seatbelt and i refuse to build a bad *** car without it being a hard top for this reason, prayers sent man, i am sorry to hear.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:43 AM
10 Second Club

Jesus man....glad to hear you're both alive.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry to hear about that man. I wish you both a fast and full recovery. That story really makes me think. Cuz i hardly ever wear the belt going to start now though...Best Of luck to you and your girl...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

WTF! I thought this was a joke when I first read it. I thought this goes without saying...1. Don't screw around on public roads. And 2. If you are going to do it anyway...do it when your alone. There is no reason to risk someone else's life. Jesus.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry about what happened, but like everybody said, it was an ACCIDENT, and it already happened. Gotta accept it, learn from it and be there for your fiance, shes gonna need your encouragement. Best of luck.
PEDRO
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OMFG

someone was watching over you. Glad everyone is ok; Jesus H Christ...
Old 09-05-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Youre Blessed to be alive and no planning in the world could have stopped this. Get past it and help your girl get past it. This is exactly what an accident is.

Dont blame yourself, it wont change anything. You could have been driving 35mph and been slammed by a drunk driver and had the same result, again nothing you could have done differently NOW. Its an accident.

I will be Praying to the Lord for you both.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Regular

Woah...We're glad you 2 are going to make it. Sad stuff. It sounds like the rear axle locked up maybe? What does "3.23's Locked" mean? Please don't tell me it's a posi that's been welded up as a solid spool... I don't see a reason why it would lose traction in 3rd..

Best wishes Dan and Sara!!
Old 09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

I am glad you are both okay, but I have to agree with what Vertigo said.........
Old 09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
Launching!

I just got home from the hospital, been there since 7am, visiting hours are 7am till 9pm but they let me stay late. I'll be back there at 7 tomorrow. Thanks for the kind, and some harsh words. I know I shouldn't have been ******* around on the streets and I know we should have had seatbelts on but there isn't anything I can do about it now. Sara should get released tomorrow. Her road rash looks a lot better already it will be 2 weeks till we can see her fingers. I realized her front upper left tooth is cracked in 3 places and a chip actually fell off today it isnt hurting her though thank god. Please keep her in your prayers.
Old 09-06-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i little tough love in some areas maybe but nothing too bad..... i know i didnt mean anything by what i said other than use this situation as a way to exaplin to others how important it is to wear yous seat belt..... all of this we know but its a BIG reality check when there is a story like this to be told along with a saftey belt lesson..... we just dont want to lose anymore car guys, freinds, brothers, sisters, and so forth when it doesnt even have to happen 9 times out of 10 if a seat belt is worn..... we are all glad yall are ok and keep us up to date with the progress!!!! jake
Old 09-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Launching!

She just got released from the hospital a few hours ago, I'm here at out house to get some things we both need and to update you all. We're both staying at her parents till shes a little better. Her mom doesn't work and this way someone will be with her when I go back to work on Monday. As for me I'm having more and more pain in my arm, I may have to get it checked out some time this week if it does not start to get better.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if they gave you pain pill sbe carefull and dont get addicted, i was on oxycontin and tabs for about 8 years from a degenerated disc and had to always have them..... just last december i finally got straight!!!!

Quick Reply: wrecked last night