Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Newbie question, could be carb adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie question, could be carb adjustment

About a month ago i noticed a little rust showing in my fuel filter, id driven it for about 3 days prior to knowing thats why it was running crappy. got a new tank new plugs and replaced the fuel lines and filter and for some reason adjusted the carb a little, even though i dont really know how. it still ran rough and i noticed a lil stuff in the filter, i forgot there would be a little in the pump. got a new filter and it still wont run right. theres also the slightest but of rusty looking dust like tip of the finger sized in the bottom of the filter.

So today i got online and "learned" how to adjust the carb right. Edelbrock performer series 600cfm , motors completely stock but for a mallory distributor and headers. the guide told me to push both screws all the way in then back them out 5 and 1/2 turns. from there turn them clock wise till the motor bogs then out a full turn.

still runs like ****. idles fine, when you give it the slightest bit of gas it stumbles, when you hammer it it runs fine like it always did.

Is it the carb or should i check something else, any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by moreisbetter; 09-21-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong part listed
Old 09-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

okay guys, i was curious so i took the distributor cap off and low and behold there was no button. i dont know if it vaporized, highly unlikely, or i just left it out. i am self tought no one around me knows or cares about cars at all so i think im doin okay.

sorry...anyways its still missing just after idle. idles not so great now, just after idle it misses horribly then about 1200 rpms it smooths out.

im thinkin its somthing in that mallory distributor but like i said im self tought and dont really know where to go from here

any ideas, vaacum, advance help please????
Old 09-28-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put a GM HEI distibutor in the motor and check the accelerator pump in the carb.If you had rust in the tank it probally got in your carb and buy a small block chevy book it will teach you a lot about problems and some tricks to do.Good luck!
Old 09-30-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by moreisbetter
idles fine, when you give it the slightest bit of gas it stumbles, when you hammer it it runs fine like it always did.

Is it the carb or should i check something else, any help is greatly appreciated.
if you stomp on it and it's good then it is not the accelerator pump.

if you found rust in the fuel filter then that sediment has made it's way into the carb and is causing the problem. You will need to remove the carb from the engine, disassemble the carb and clean it out thoroughly. The stumbling when you give it a little throttle is indicating the blockage is in the transition circuit in the carb, which are the smallest and most intricate passages and the always the first to get clogged up. There is no off the shelf fuel additive or cleaner you can run to fix it, you have to pull the carb apart and use a can of carb cleaner and/or brake cleaner and preferably have compressed air to blow things clean.

as for the distributor, I can't say much without seeing it but if the engine runs fine under load at heavy throttle at 3000+ rpm then the distributor is probably fine. If the distr. was a problem you'd have intermittent/poor spark and the engine would run but cut out and it's a distinctive sound & feel, as opposed to a carb problem where there's just no power at various throttle settings.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/Carburetor-Per...1719715&sr=1-1

buy this book right now for $15.54 !!!!
it will teach you carbs and how to tune any carb, and you need to know this information first before you adjust anything!
I can't remember if it goes specifically into edelbrocs,
if not then do a search on amazon for edelbrock carburetors,

http://www.amazon.com/Rebuild-Modify...2810355&sr=1-1