Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

NC window tint question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Question NC window tint question

How tough is it to get by with darker than legal window tint in NC? I am moving to Charlotte soon and have 20% non reflective side and back on the TA. I'd really like to not have to remove it since I just had it put on, before I knew I was going to be moving to a state with more strict tint laws.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It all depends on if you meet/know someone that will let it slide. Finding a shop that will ignore tint by just asking when you walk in is next to impossible. It's like asking if they will break the rules for you, that has a several hundred dollar (maybe even thousand) fine if they get caught.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RebelExtrm02
How tough is it to get by with darker than legal window tint in NC? I am moving to Charlotte soon and have 20% non reflective side and back on the TA. I'd really like to not have to remove it since I just had it put on, before I knew I was going to be moving to a state with more strict tint laws.
This is one law that most shops are not going to budge on even if you know someone. I know a bunch of people that do them and there are ways around just about everything except window tint.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. Didn't realize that tint was part of passing inspection in NC. That's disappointing. In MO only the police care and they usually only care if you are doing something else to warrant being pulled over, such as speeding or driving carelessly. Looks like I'll have to redo the tint then. Trying to get inspected when I was catless got old enough. I'm not going to deal with it for something like tint.

On that note, can anyone recommend any tint shops around the Charlotte area that carry quality tint and can do a good job on or rear windows, including the dot matrix?

Quick Reply: NC window tint question