Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Moving outside Atlanta...need some information.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Moving outside Atlanta...need some information.

Looking for a nice place to live and about an hour commute to the city.
I know I want North, NW or NE of the city.
I'm renting the first year there to make sure I know what location I want to buy.
Advise on which suburbs you suggest.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Cant advise on home BUT the Fbody Gathering there every year is killer!
http://www.fbodygathering.com/
See ya there next year!
Old 06-16-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157
Cant advise on home BUT the Fbody Gathering there every year is killer!
http://www.fbodygathering.com/
See ya there next year!
yep, i went to the one last year.
great meet.
Old 06-16-2014, 02:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kind of area are you looking for? "Suburbs" is pretty broad.

Nice house, don't mind a HOA? Do you want a place where a loud car isn't stared at? Are you a late-night garage hotrodder or Sunday wash n waxer? Car people are everywhere, but there is a distinct difference depending on where you go. I grew up in an area where most people would wash and sunday drive their toy cars, some buddies grew up where they would drive with straight pipes and cops wouldn't usually mind.

Kids/schools a concern?

I grew up in Roswell/Alpharetta, which is about 30 min from Atlanta and is a nice suburban place to live. Generally upper-middle class, enough people that you won't be bumping into people you know very often, but not so large that it will never happen. Any kind of store is close, as with most suburbs in the area.

Check out Marietta, Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Duluth and Milton for that upper middle neighborhood feel.
If you like a little more country but definitely not banjo playing areas check out places like Cartersville, Hiram, Powder Springs, Kennesaw, Fayetteville (not north, but a suggestion), etc.

If you like wealthier areas look at East Cobb, Suwanee, Johns Creek/Roswell/Alpharetta (depending on neighborhood. Vast range of $200k-700k homes), BUCKHEAD ("the" hotspot, especially for night life. Easily highest rent in Buckhead).

There are so many possibilities...just narrow down what type of area you're looking for. "Suburban" isn't specific enough here..there are tons of options and varieties.

Best of luck!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks

researching the locations you mentioned.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I lived north of atlanta for a long time...went to high school there too. I lived in Gwinnett County "Buford and Dacula" and they are both nice areas but they are getting crowded because it is a pretty nice area...Mall of Georgia is there which is one of the largest in the country and the income level there tends to be a little higher than most of the other places around Atlanta. Great schools in Buford...we then moved to North Gainesville off of Lake Lanier and it was really nice up there too. Gainesville puts you really close to the mountains so if you like to drive on the twisty roads its a good spot...schools arent the best around Gainesville tho.

I worked in Alpharetta and traffic was terrible...cant stress that enough lol but you better get used to that if you are going to be anywhere close to Atlanta...when me and my wife go back to visit with her mom and dad I say to myself "I dont miss this one bit" lol
Old 06-19-2014, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, I keep hearing about traffic.

Buying a used Vette end of this month and considering going with an auto, but not a fan of the 4 speed which within my budget ($22k) because of theme traffic concern. I was going to a c5 zo6 but not so sure anymore.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by maxgee
Yes, I keep hearing about traffic.

Buying a used Vette end of this month and considering going with an auto, but not a fan of the 4 speed which within my budget ($22k) because of theme traffic concern. I was going to a c5 zo6 but not so sure anymore.
I know quite a few guys who DD a manual car down GA 400 "terrible traffic" and I-85 "not that much better than 400" and they are ok for the most part...they do complain from time to time tho biggest thing is a wreck...usually once you get about 10-15miles out of the city it starts to flow a little bit, but if a cop is on the side of the road or if a bird walks too far over the white line on the interstate expect traffic to go down to a crawl

One of my good friends daily drove an SS camaro 6speed and put like 250,000 miles on it going up and down 85 to work.

Do you know what part of town you are going to be working in yet?
Old 06-22-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have been here about 1.5 years now and living in Suwanee. I like it but just be ready for traffic. If you are going DD an hour each way then just make sure you have a spare clutch ready. It is a bear. My commute in the morning leaving at 6:30 am is about an hour and 15 to drive 52 miles. If I leave any later than that it could be 2 hours easily. I commute to Lithia Springs every day.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've narrowed it down to Loganville and Woodstock.
Appears I get more house in Loganville, so leaning towards that area. I'll be commuting into Atlanta and work starts at 8:30am. Figured I leave by 6:30am and have tune for the gym before work(?) what do you guys think, 30 miles will take??
Old 09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maxgee
I've narrowed it down to Loganville and Woodstock.
Appears I get more house in Loganville, so leaning towards that area. I'll be commuting into Atlanta and work starts at 8:30am. Figured I leave by 6:30am and have tune for the gym before work(?) what do you guys think, 30 miles will take??
im just a few miles east Loganville, if I leave at 6:30 I can get downtown by 7:30. If you leave at 7am you will get there after 8am. Traffic is horrible the closer you get to the city.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Banned

An hour away from Atlanta is gonna be at least double that if you work in Atlanta. I know Calhoun has some nice houses and a lot of land you could get. Itll only go up bc Atlanta is growing

Quick Reply: Moving outside Atlanta...need some information.