Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Need help getting a mechanics lien.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help getting a mechanics lien.

A little background, I bought a car from a guy and lost the title before I could get it transferred in my name...

I've went though all my options with the star of md where I live.

A guy I work with, who lived in Tennessee a few years ago. He said it's very easy to get a title with a mechanics lien in Tennessee.

I've went through circuit court here and the MVA. I've tried to locate the previous owner inorder to get a duplicate but I know he's moved to California and is in the military.

I just need some help from you guys, I'm willing to pay you for helping me resolve the issue.

I'm basically out of options.

I've spoken to a lawyer and he said any individual can apply for kne in tennessee.

You just need the vin number, year make and model.
And to spend some time at the MVA Please pm me or text/call 410-980-7703
Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

And guys just to be clear.

I'm not doing this to try and wash a title, I'm doing this because it sounds like my only option.

I've been to the MVA a few times and spent about 5 hours in the phone with them.

I've also called the circuit court and explained everything to them, they to are unable to help.

I talked to them about applying for a mechanics lien in MD, where I live. In MD if you apply for a mechanics lien you must sell the vehicle at auction, you are unable to register it, unless I bought it from the auction. Which I don't want to do because I'd have to pay for it twice.

I have a bill of sale from the previous owner, he cannot get a duplicate title because he has moved out of state, way out of state like 1500 miles away.

And the MVA will not issue a duplicate unless you are there in person.

I'm just really effed here lol
Old 07-21-2015, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Idaho you'd be applying for a conditional title, and if the car is worth more than a couple grand you'd probably need to bond it also.

Conditional titles aren't too hard here. You send a certified letter to the PO, if it comes back unopened, then they'll have you fill out an indemnifying affidavit explaining why you have no title. Then they issue a title that has a brand on it for 2 years. In that two year period someone can try to claim ownership of the car if they can prove they own it and it's not rightfully yours. It's a normal title and can be sold, it just has that brand as being conditional. That's removed after 2 years and you get a non-branded title.

I've done this 5 or 6 times. The problem is people at the DMV(MVA) are clueless and I have to explain to them how to do it.

In Idaho we have a motor vehicle investigator for each county. They don't work at the DMV and they know things typical DMV eployees don't.

If your MVA isn't giving you the correct info, you should try to find who would be the equivalent of a motor vehicle investigator in MD.

If you have a bill of sale, there is a way to do this, you just need to find the right person.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Thank you I'll keep looking, I've been to 2 different MVAs and talked to everyone in the titling departments.

They are telling me there is nothing I can do in MD because of how screwed up our vehicle titling laws are.

A lady that works there told me about doing it out of state, then I talked to the guy I worked with and he explained how easy it was in Tennessee.

I'm just hoping someone on here could help me out with it, I'd be glad to pay you for your time.

Quick Reply: Need help getting a mechanics lien.