Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

emission testing in va

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 11:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default emission testing in va

im in the military currently living in hawaii but about to transfer to norfolk, va towards the end of the year. I just got some Jet Hot LT headers, but am wary about installing them becuase I dont want to have to remove them when i get there. I am looking to get a y-pipe with high flow cats, but i've heard that some states do visual inspections and if your cats have been moved from thier factory position, you are screwed! If anyone can shed some like about the requirements in virginia i would appreciate it.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where I am, there are no emmisions testing going on. I have been told that in some areas, they are starting to do some, but nothing concrete has been said. I have a buddy that is stationed at Langley, so I will check with him and find out for ya. I do know they usually will look for cats, but when I had my car inspected just the other day, the guy checked the lights, horn, wipers, and front suspension and that was it.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Go ahead and put the headers and y-pipe on. Most of us in Va our cars are highly modified and we have "hook ups" for the yearly inspection stickers. If I were you I would keep an out of state tag on the car, don't get a Va tag or you'll be subject to inspection. Just keep your home state tag on it or something, most of the military guys around here do that.

Va is gay for all of its rules about not touching the car, and leaving it stock. I'm from Va originially (Hampton Roads, north of Norfolk), and believe me you can get away with a lot. Just don't make it a point to attract attention to yourself while you are out. Course thats hard with our gruops. LOL!

Also check out www.tidewaterracing.com, thats our local board for the area, lots of helpful people on there and info on where the hangouts are on the weekends.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Staging Lane

the police won't mess with as long as you act like you not a teenager in a honda... i have jet hot long tubes as well and i have drivin by pleanty police officers and nothing. and we dont check fo emmissions, but you do need a cat, and virginia doesnt like you modifying your car, as stated above... but you can find someone to inspect you, i have that coming up actually, have to start looking