Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Help with ideas on how to rig exhaust so I can make it to a shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help with ideas on how to rig exhaust so I can make it to a shop

I clamped my original i-pipe to my TSP ORY after my H/C install. Well, the flange for my cutout is maybe 2" off the ground so it's a major issue. Well, I thought the clamp was good/tight enough to get the job done. The pipes it holds are maybe 1-1/2" apart so it's not clamping on much, but I thought it was enough.

Took it for a spin saturday evening for the first time.... must say it was incredible even though i'm relatively untuned still. It was dragging the cutout flange a lot in the neighborhood even on small bumps. Well, check it out once I'm back in the garage and it came undone, basically the flange caught and pulled the whole muffler and everything back enough to pull it from the band clamp.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this thing to a shop? I don't want to risk it really grabbing something and tearing the **** out of my car.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get some wire or a coat hanger and rig it up so it won't drag on the way to the shop..that is what I did to mine when I put the headers on..I had to drive 35-40 miles to the shop that did the work for me
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ALABAMA CHROME (duct tape)!!!!!! 1001 uses for it
Old 08-15-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

drive it with open headers, ive been drivnig mine around like that.. no problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LETZ RUN
drive it with open headers, ive been drivnig mine around like that.. no problem.

thats wut i did, worked fine and didnt have to worry the whole way to the shop about something getting torn to ****
Old 08-15-2005, 06:55 PM
On The Tree

I tried the coat hanger method first....... worked but I hit a bump with the cutout flange and it pushed the i-pipe up into the driveshaft tunnel and it stayed in there. Luckily I heard it and it only polished a small ring around the drive shaft.

I have no problem driving it open headers to the shop, my problem is in the fact that my i-pipe is welded to the pipe going over the axle (dunno if it was like this stock or not, but it's how I got the car) The thing wants to roll bringing the tips up into the bumper and the i-pipe down towards the ground which is baaaaaaaad. One speed bump or lip and I risk ripping the whole thing off. I'm thinking I may have to cut the over the axle pipe with my sawzall and pull my entire muffler and i-pipe off.

Just looking for an alternative way so I don't have to have the guy do any more work than necessary at the exhaust shop.

I live up off Wade Green off 75 and need to get it down to South Cobb Dr. which is exiting at Delk or in that area. It's the only shop I can find that will work on my car without cats. Guy was cool as hell....
If it comes here with cats on, it has to leave here like that. If it doesn't come here with them, I'm not the damn EPA or the police so I don't really care. I do show cars, drag cars, custom cars all the time and if it comes here without them it leaves without them. I'm not gonna turn down any business.
Thanks for the ideas so far, keep em coming.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the same problem with mine..but I didn't want to cut the system off since the catback was hanging the way that I wanted..I just wired mine up with wire and some clamps to get it to the shop..ran it without the y pipe to get it there I have double dimond SFC so I have plenty of places to wire them too..good luck..make sure the you have a flange welded on your I pipe so you can take the Y pipe off it you need to work under the car on the clutch, trans, drive shaft, rear end, and ect.. if you don't do that you'll be screwed..

Quick Reply: Help with ideas on how to rig exhaust so I can make it to a shop