Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

New Laws trying to get passed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Laws trying to get passed!!!

I am not sure if this is the best section to put this and I hope it gets made a sticky. There is a new bill trying to get passed about street racing in Tennessee. The bill seems fair until it gets to the section regarding nitrous oxide. I have talked to some of the other shops in the area and we are having a discussion night on Tues. Dec 6 starting at 5:00 pm. The location is at Millennium park in Johnson City from 5:00pm to 8:00pm on Dec. 6. The address is 2001 Millennium place, Johnson City TN 37604. Phone Number is 423-232-2001. Anyone who is interested in joining us and trying to plan out legitimate arguments for this amendment is welcome to come. Time is of the essence here because they are going to try to get the bill passed by the first of Jan. I hope to see all of you there.

Here is the summary of the bill.
Attached Thumbnails New Laws trying to get passed!!!-summary-bill.gif  
Old 12-05-2005, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Its very hard to read the scanned picture. What is the proposal regarding N2O?
Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

makes operating a vehicle or motorcycle with N2O a Class E felony with a 1-6 year sentence. (lines have to be disconnected or the bottle removed.) says its similiar to an arkansas law.

makes me want to get the NOS bazooka bass tube and put it in my back window and drive around tenn.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Section 5 creates the felony offense of operating a motor vehicle or motorcycle that is equipped to supply the engine with nitrous oxide unless the line is disconnected or the nitrous oxide container is removed. A violation of this new section is a Class E felony punishable by 1-6 years imprisonment unless the operation of the motor vehicle using the nitrous oxide results in serious bodily injury to another in which case it is a Class D felony punishable by 2-12 years imprisonment. The wording of this offense is based on a similar law in Arkansas although Virginia also prohibits the use of nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle on public roads."

basically dont have nitrous hooked up while youre on the road otherwise u could get royally screwed
Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 AM
10 Second Club

Better hide those bottles a little better, boys...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Here it is in plain text sorry.

Summary of Proposed Drag Racing Bill

This proposal makes several changes to the law regarding drag racing, all of which are designed to modernize the offense to better reflect the very serious risk to other motorists and innocent bystanders caused by drag racing and to increase the punishment for this dangerous conduct to make it more proportional to its risk of harm to the public.
SECTIONS I and 2 provide that a death occurring as the proximate result of the offense of drag racing will be punished as the Class B felony offense of "vehicular homicide by drag racing" and carry a sentence of between 8-30 years. This would punish a death caused by drag racing in the same manner as vehicular homicides caused by drunk drivers.
SECTION 3. Increases the present punishment for the offense of drag racing if the offense results in the serious bodily injury of a participant, bystander or other person. This section would increase the punishment from a Class B misdemeanor to a Class D felony punishable by 2-12 years if seriously bodily injury results.
SECTION 3. Also provides that upon conviction, the vehicle used to commit the offense of drag racing is subject to seizure and forfeiture to the state in the same manner as vehicles used to carry drugs are now.
SECTION 4. Permanently revokes the driver license of any person who is convicted of drag racing that results in the serious bodily-injury of another. This is currently
done to anyone convicted of drag racing for a second time within 10 years.
SECTION 5 Creates the felony offense of operating a motor vehicle or motorcycle that is equipped to supply the engine with nitrous oxide unless the line is disconnecting or the nitrous oxide container is removed. A violation of this new section is a Class E felony punishable by 1-6 years imprisonment unless the operation of the motor vehicle using the nitrous oxide results in serious bodily injury to another in which case it is a Class D felony punishable by 2-12 years imprisonment. The wording of this offense is based on a similar law in Arkansas although Virginia also prohibits the use of nitrous oxide in a motor vehicle on public roads.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with everything but section 5.....
Old 12-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Could everyone that can attend please let me know so I can have a rough estimate of how many to expect. By the way, there will be a petition there to sign as well.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do agree w/ everything but # 5... Thats like saying if you have a FI car, you cant run it. Its just a power adder nothing more. IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like sticky material to me . Done.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

I don't agree with any of it. We already live in a freakin police state.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:57 PM
Teching In

Anyone that is against section 5 of the proposed bill, PLEASE email either or both of these representatives. rep.matthew.hill@legislature.state.tn.us rep.david.davis@legislature.state.tn.us. I was told that the number of emails they recieved is the reason for this section, so we need to let them know that there are just as many or more against this section.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ride Revolution
Anyone that is against section 5 of the proposed bill, PLEASE email either or both of these representatives. rep.matthew.hill@legislature.state.tn.us rep.david.davis@legislature.state.tn.us. I was told that the number of emails they recieved is the reason for this section, so we need to let them know that there are just as many or more against this section.
Its screwed up that if you get caught with n20 it punishable by inprisionment. yet everyday we have 20,000 illeagle immigrants crossing our boarders not knowing if there terroistor what and there going to worry more about street racing in america
Old 12-12-2005, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So it's ok to run race gas, blowers, turbos, alky/methanol injection, and other performance mods, but its not ok to run nitrous???? I don't understand the reasoning.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackMagicC5
So it's ok to run race gas, blowers, turbos, alky/methanol injection, and other performance mods, but its not ok to run nitrous???? I don't understand the reasoning.
The reasoning is that soccer moms/asshat police officers/environmentalist wackos/dumb movies have convinced the lawmakers that anyone running nitrous must necessarily be an idiotic irresponsible street racing rice burner.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by infinitebird
The reasoning is that soccer moms/asshat police officers/environmentalist wackos/dumb movies have convinced the lawmakers that anyone running nitrous must necessarily be an idiotic irresponsible street racing rice burner.
Sounds like they have too much time on their hands.....
Old 12-12-2005, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Took the words right out of my mouth
Old 12-12-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Some of those soccer moms probably remember riding around in thier boy friends back before sulpher was added huffing it up. lol
Old 12-13-2005, 02:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SilverBulletSS
Its screwed up that if you get caught with n20 it punishable by inprisionment. yet everyday we have 20,000 illeagle immigrants crossing our boarders not knowing if there terroistor what and there going to worry more about street racing in america
AWSOME POINT
Old 12-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Banned

Probably went with there kids to see FnF and saw the eclipse blow up and thought it was to much of a safety hazard. Someone shoukld email these vehicular ignorant people on and educate them on the realities of n2o

Quick Reply: New Laws trying to get passed!!!