Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Old Drag Strip Stories / Memories

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Drag Strip Stories / Memories

Anybody from the Shreveport area remember Ole Gator Drag Strip or Hilltop Drag Strip or Mansfield Airport Drag Strip or Whitehouse Drag Strip or I-20 Raceway Drags ? If you do I'm sure you have some good stories to tell these young whippersnappers.
Old 09-03-2007, 06:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn it!!! Looks like I fall into the young whippersnappers section on this one lol.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Banned

Wink

Originally Posted by blue98Z
Damn it!!! Looks like I fall into the young whippersnappers section on this one lol.

Yeah , we were drag racing when ya'll were just a gleam in your Daddy's eye. And we're still at it. Don't think we've lost our spunk yet. Say , given half a chance most of us will give you youngsters a run for your money and a lot of us will surprise you. Our bloods still hot for the sport of drag/street racing.Few things can make your day like shuttin down a challenger at the strip or street. It'll put a smile on your face & a frown on their's for the rest of that day.

Last edited by Z ROADSTER; 09-03-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:41 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember running with my dad and his brother when they were running. I vaguely remember some I-20 runs, but I do remember when they used to get out on I-220 and run. Those I-220 runs were the first I had ever seen and it was awesome. My uncle had a 77 Chevelle with a 383 stroker that would run like crazy and my dad had and still has his 78 El Camino which is down for the moment. I remember on I-220 between Swan Lake and Airline watching a 55 Belair with an LT1 swap in it and a 78 Camaro going at it. They raced three times because the guy in the camaro couldn't beleive he got beat. The third run the motor went on the Camaro. That was some of the coolest racing I had ever seen. I think I was about 14 or 15 at the time. I don't doubt the older bunch one bit. I grew up around ya'll and learned everything I could and it has benefitted me. I'm only 27, but like seeing the older guys showing their enthusiasm. I'll be glad when I get mine back going so I can get back on the track or the street, I miss both.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 AM
11 Second Truck Club

little bit of history about a now closed dragstrip here in Dallas, GA...

NASCAR's mortal enemy in stock car racing, USAC, was quick to point out to Chrysler that it was continuing to use the same rules it had in 1964 and the Plymouth and Dodge Hemi teams were welcome to compete on that circuit in 1965. Many did, including Paul Goldsmith, Bobby Isaac, and David Pearson. Richard Petty and Petty Enterprises went drag racing. In a Barracuda that they called "Outlawed," Petty attracted large crowds wherever his raced. Unfortunately, on 28 February 1965, the same day that a 100-miler was being run at the Asheville-Weaverville Speedway in Weaverville, North Carolina, Petty and "Outlawed" were at Southeastern Dragway in Dallas, Georgia. During a match race with Arnie Beswick, the Barracuda experienced transmission problems off the line. As Petty tried to find second gear, the car started to get loose. When Petty finally got it into second gear the car suddenly broke loose, turned towards the spectator area, and hit the embankment. The Petty Blue Barracuda vaulted the embankment, being launched almost straight up, which carried the car over the fence that was supposed to protect the spectators, and into the crowd. Seven people were injured when the Barracuda slammed into the people who had come to watch the match races. One of these suffered severe head injuries, but there was an eighth victim, Wayne Dye - an eight-year old from Austell, Georgia. He died of his injuries before he reached the hospital. Petty suffered light injuries in the violent crash, but the shock of the young boy's death stayed with him for years.
pic of the car...not in Dallas though...

Old 09-05-2007, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I wish my dad liked the joy of building up a car like I want to do. That would be awesome.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:09 PM
Banned

We were at Green Valley Raceway back in about 1963 I think when a top fuel dragster went thru the ropes at the end of the strip The driver either passed out or had heart failure at the 1/8th mile mark & never hit the brakes or chute. He was decapitated .
Never forgot that site.
Then it was 1961 at I-20 Raceway when I witnessed my first 200 MPH run hanging on a barbed wire fence when Mr Eddie Hill blew by in his twin engine pontiac front engined dragster.The ground shook for several seconds after he passed.

Quick Reply: Old Drag Strip Stories / Memories