Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Need some labor help: Huntsville AL Clutch Slave/master

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some labor help: Huntsville AL Clutch Slave/master

I've got a dying clutch slave in my TA, and I'm looking for a place to fix it. The car is drivable, but I don't want to drive it anywhere except the location I will fix it. (Been stuck in gear twice, been stuck in neutral once)

I would like to do this myself, but I have neither the experience or the tools.

I am willing to pay a bit (negotiable) to either do the job, or work with me on doing it.

I am a broke college kid. I will take it to an affordable shop, but would rather have the hands on experience. I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but I'll just say it, I'm not experienced or terribly mechanically inclined. I have the fluid and should have the parts by this or next weekend.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a PM. I would love to meet some more good car guys that I can learn a thing or two from.

Car is located in mid/south Huntsville.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to be a dick, but what is the car doing... it may not be a slave cylinder.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shkettle
not to be a dick, but what is the car doing... it may not be a slave cylinder.
By all means, give me more to go on, I won't be offended.

Clutch sticks to the floor, you disengage, it stays in neutral. pump it s few times, and eventually it'll work normally for a few minutes.

Will also get stuck in gear, and not allow the car to be removed from gear. Mechanic that looked at the car when it first happened, (happened AT the shop) said the clutch was 'bypassing' and probably the slave was leaking internally. He pointed me to SLIGHT dirt/marks around the seal where the slave is located.

That's most of what I know. Bled the fluid with new dot4, got stuck in third after a few minutes. Fluid is clean and clear now, still sticking.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:51 AM
11 Second Club

You definately have a hydraulic problem. It's a pain to pull the tranny just to do a slave swap. If I were you I would have someone that knows something about these cars to look over everything ( slave, master, clutch, clutch lines ) before you put it back together. Your gonna need alot of extensions to get the bolts out or a really long one with a few short ones and a buddy unless you have a transmission jack.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue98Z
You definately have a hydraulic problem. It's a pain to pull the tranny just to do a slave swap. If I were you I would have someone that knows something about these cars to look over everything ( slave, master, clutch, clutch lines ) before you put it back together. Your gonna need alot of extensions to get the bolts out or a really long one with a few short ones and a buddy unless you have a transmission jack.

That's what I'm looking for. I really can't afford to shotgun this and be wrong.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No one?

Quick Reply: Need some labor help: Huntsville AL Clutch Slave/master