Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

Lookin' for Memphis LS1 w/ similar mods...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' for Memphis LS1 w/ similar mods...

Anyone here from Memphis that has a similar setup as me? Mods in sig.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Banned

Somewhat tsp 6.0 heads but with a ms4 cam.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yeah, thats really not close. His car made 380rwhp on our dyno and hes not happy. So I told him to find a car with mods close to his, and we would stick it on our dyno and see what it makes.

He has an issue somewhere thats got him down on power, but its not a tune issue.

Josh, maybe when you get your dyno you could put his car on it and see what it makes?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

Wow, that's really down on power. I figure he should have about 40 more HP than that
Old 09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, even a shoddy tune wouldn't be that far off on power (not calling you out on the tune either, just reinforcing your point).

Hey Jeff, if you don't mind me asking, would you be willing to (worst case scenario) pit me up against a cammed car? I know there would be a gap in the mod difference but if there is a cam only car that puts down my numbers then perhaps we'll be one step closer to figuring out something. That's if I can't find anyone w/ a similar enough setup as mine. I'm posting over at WTFBA too in efforts to find someone.

Though, in all honesty, I don't see being able to pinpoint the problem by pulling head to head. In the end, if it is something i'll probably be dishing out for a diagnostic once i get the money.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

Could the stock clutch be slipping? Look at the fuel consumption and air flow on the data log to see if the motor is making the power but not getting to the ground? What was the last round of mods? What did it dyno before the last set of mods?

Good Luck
Josh
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vrbas
Yeah, even a shoddy tune wouldn't be that far off on power (not calling you out on the tune either, just reinforcing your point).

Hey Jeff, if you don't mind me asking, would you be willing to (worst case scenario) pit me up against a cammed car? I know there would be a gap in the mod difference but if there is a cam only car that puts down my numbers then perhaps we'll be one step closer to figuring out something. That's if I can't find anyone w/ a similar enough setup as mine. I'm posting over at WTFBA too in efforts to find someone.

Though, in all honesty, I don't see being able to pinpoint the problem by pulling head to head. In the end, if it is something i'll probably be dishing out for a diagnostic once i get the money.

Well, Josh mentioned the clutch and honestly, I hadnt thought of that. I dont remember seeing anything on your dyno sheet that would point to that either.

The only reason Im wanting to pull another car similar to yours is just to see if our dyno is reading low. we havent had anyone else on our dyno that brought a sheet from another shop with them so we could compare numbers. so really, as long as they have a dyno sheet from the person that tuned their car, it doesnt matter if the mods they have are similar to yours. we can just pull their car and see if my dyno says they have the same power as the other dyno.

at this point, just keep looking to see if someone is willing to do the test with you, and when you are in town, run by the shop so we can just look the motor over for anything obvious.

If you have time, you might want to just pull all the plugs and check them for anything odd.

let us know.

thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

I put down 380rwhp with a smallish cam and stock heads
Old 09-26-2008, 01:12 AM
TECH Resident

Will do Jeff. It probably won't be 'till the holiday season that I'm available due to my location, but i'll give you a heads up.

Originally Posted by DustinWS6
I put down 380rwhp with a smallish cam and stock heads
To reiterate, if you have the dyno sheet for this pull maybe you could bring it by Spectacle Solutions when i'm around (or even not if you're bored) and we can try to compare apples to oranges.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vrbas

To reiterate, if you have the dyno sheet for this pull maybe you could bring it by Spectacle Solutions when i'm around (or even not if you're bored) and we can try to compare apples to oranges.
If you want to compare apples to oranges...my Auto with a few boltons untuned put down 330/340
Old 09-26-2008, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

I can scan the sheet for you when I have time
Old 09-26-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DustinWS6
I can scan the sheet for you when I have time
That'd be ok... but if i'm understanding correctly, Jeff wants to see if their dyno is reading low. In which case it would be necessary to put you on their dynojet and compare what they read to what you've been quoted by your tune.

Originally Posted by jetlag
If you want to compare apples to oranges...my Auto with a few boltons untuned put down 330/340
I'd rather just have a sword fight with you
Old 09-26-2008, 06:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

how does the car run? feel strong?
Old 09-26-2008, 07:27 PM
Jedi Master

PP LS6 style? WHat is this? Patriot?

pacesetters? lol

It took me a fast 92, VR3, GMPP LS6 heads, and Kooks to even crack 400whp.

Don't get too caught up at all of the people who make crazy *** numbers on the dyno. Heh, I bought in to the VRX3 because I saw a dyno graph of a STOCK f-body with nothing but the cam supposedly putting down 400whp. Boy was I stupid in believing that.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
how does the car run? feel strong?
It feels no faster than a cam only car I rode in before all this (was a 228 i believe). Other than that, the usual bucking and occasional whiplash at low RPMs.

Originally Posted by Gh0st
Don't get too caught up at all of the people who make crazy *** numbers on the dyno. Heh, I bought in to the VRX3 because I saw a dyno graph of a STOCK f-body with nothing but the cam supposedly putting down 400whp. Boy was I stupid in believing that.
Yeah, i know what you mean. But it feeling weak compared to a few i've ridden in coupled w/ the dynograph in comparison to what, over 90% of LS1 enthusiasts out there w/ similar mods as me making at least 400... just wasn't why I put my money down on this.

Yeah everyone is different and no car performs the same, blah blah. But when you have such a large number of people with a widely proven combo, you can't help but question when you feel down on numbers.

Last edited by Vrbas; 09-27-2008 at 10:26 AM.