Old 11-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump. this is my 97 6 speed car.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:22 PM
Teching In

Default 1996 z28 ss #525

I was the original owner and sold it in May of 1998. I purchased it back in September 2009.

SLP options:
-SLP TOTL (still have it on the shelf)
-SLP Level II Bilstein Suspension
-Hurst shifter

Old 04-19-2017, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Just picked it up. 0169 from original owner. 130K. 6 speed leather hardtop. Needs restoration. Runs well though. SLP options are car cover,Torsen rear,Hurst shifter and level 2 suspension
Old 04-19-2017, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Just picked it up. 0169 from original owner. 130K. 6 speed leather hardtop. Needs restoration. Runs well though. SLP options are car cover,Torsen rear,Hurst shifter and level 2 suspension
Nice find!

I'm actually compiling pics of all the 96 SS cars I can for the SLP registry. Hope you guys don't mind me saving your pics for that. I've searched all over craigslist and kept a record of everything I can find... I'm a bit obsessed I guess. Here is what I have so far:

Name:  Capture_zps0pjkruks.jpg
Views: 867
Size:  66.1 KB
Old 04-20-2017, 06:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not at all. I will clean it up so you have a better picture of it
Old 04-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super jealous that is exactly what I wanted of it has the 2otl...just like mine but HT instead of TT....if you don't mind my asking PM me what you paid for it.

Also at rj if you want info on 390 pm me I have a lot of stuff from before I sold it and still talk to the guy o sold it to
Old 04-21-2017, 06:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes it has that exhaust. I paid 3300 for it. I will try to restore the paint in the meantime. Has cracked front bumper,cracked rear tail light,lettering on the power window switches and stalk are worn,leather shift **** has some wear(the H one),rip on leather seat...I have the parts to restore it. Dash has a cover so mostly likely cracked when I remove it as well. Oh well. Do not see many so I figured why not. Might be worth something one day. I have LT4 heads,intake and cam along with a Grand Sport throttle body cover maybe I will add but I won't really mod it past that. I am debating adding the slp cai I have to preserve the stock air box which can be kind of fragile as well. Yes love the hard top. Thank you
Old 04-21-2017, 06:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

What is the complete list of options for these cars in 1996? I wonder if this car has the extrude honed manifold on it since it is an early one
Old 04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Launching!

What is the complete list of options for these cars in 1996? I wonder if this car has the extrude honed manifold on it since it is an early one
Brangeta put together this good article on these cars a while back. It is probably going to give you the best basis on the 96 SS specifically.

https://sites.google.com/site/brange...camaros/9697ss

For a full list of RPO Codes see below

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca....asp?year=1996

There is a guy on here JohnnyWS6 that put together a good Excel worksheet with some of the RPO Code breakouts which show how many cars were built with certain options.

There are a few guys on here like myself (and RJC as seen above) who have an extreme passion for this model year (Note: Even though I don't have one anymore) that between the group of us know of most the information that is available.

Regarding the honed manifolds based on the articles I have read and word of mouth by the SLP group it was my impression that the first 200ish they experimented with so there is a good likelihood that yours was one but as far as verifable proof you would have to pull and compare to a later production manifold.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Not at all. I will clean it up so you have a better picture of it
Ok, thanks!

Bandit, I'll send you a PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Launching!

Yes it has that exhaust. I paid 3300 for it. I will try to restore the paint in the meantime. Has cracked front bumper,cracked rear tail light,lettering on the power window switches and stalk are worn,leather shift **** has some wear(the H one),rip on leather seat...I have the parts to restore it. Dash has a cover so mostly likely cracked when I remove it as well. Oh well. Do not see many so I figured why not. Might be worth something one day. I have LT4 heads,intake and cam along with a Grand Sport throttle body cover maybe I will add but I won't really mod it past that. I am debating adding the slp cai I have to preserve the stock air box which can be kind of fragile as well. Yes love the hard top. Thank you
Where did you find it at as I did not see it pop up on my daily craigslist search. Based on what your saying sounds like you found a gem as most have been stripped of the SLP pieces for one reason or another.

As far as being worth something unfortunately with the cars they are putting out today and the market shift due to price drops in C6/5th Gen, Late Model Mustangs, etc... I am not sure that the LT1SS is every going to see a substantial increase in price as it just wouldnt make sense.

Myself as a diehard LT1SS guy I would still never pay over $10K for a clean example which makes me wonder if there ever will be anyone else who would.

For $3300 I wouldn't have thought twice and if you ever decide to sell hit me up lol..
Old 04-21-2017, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Bandit, you need to get another one... I found one for you, hardtop and all

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/6041293307.html
Old 04-21-2017, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Brangeta put together this good article on these cars a while back. It is probably going to give you the best basis on the 96 SS specifically.

https://sites.google.com/site/brange...camaros/9697ss

For a full list of RPO Codes see below

http://www.chevy-camaro.com/chevy-ca....asp?year=1996

There is a guy on here JohnnyWS6 that put together a good Excel worksheet with some of the RPO Code breakouts which show how many cars were built with certain options.

There are a few guys on here like myself (and RJC as seen above) who have an extreme passion for this model year (Note: Even though I don't have one anymore) that between the group of us know of most the information that is available.

Regarding the honed manifolds based on the articles I have read and word of mouth by the SLP group it was my impression that the first 200ish they experimented with so there is a good likelihood that yours was one but as far as verifable proof you would have to pull and compare to a later production manifold.
Thank you. Those are good links. Pulling off those manifolds is a PITA though eeck.

Originally Posted by Bandits96ss
Where did you find it at as I did not see it pop up on my daily craigslist search. Based on what your saying sounds like you found a gem as most have been stripped of the SLP pieces for one reason or another.

As far as being worth something unfortunately with the cars they are putting out today and the market shift due to price drops in C6/5th Gen, Late Model Mustangs, etc... I am not sure that the LT1SS is every going to see a substantial increase in price as it just wouldnt make sense.

Myself as a diehard LT1SS guy I would still never pay over $10K for a clean example which makes me wonder if there ever will be anyone else who would.

For $3300 I wouldn't have thought twice and if you ever decide to sell hit me up lol..

I always liked the 96SS. This car was local. I just get bugging the original owner. Like many he had other things like houses and family get in the way. He wanted 4 and I offered 3 and we went from there. I have some NOS GM stuff I will swap on it to look better. Is the H **** currently sold by SLP the same as the H one on the car? It is looking rough
Old 04-21-2017, 10:14 AM
On The Tree

Is the H **** currently sold by SLP the same as the H one on the car? It is looking rough
Unfortunately no, it's not. The 97+ style hurst **** has a flat back like this:

Name:  s-l225_zpswdgr6vmk.jpg
Views: 853
Size:  12.5 KB

The 96 style is tapered on all sides and uses the firebird plastic core with different stitching and the "H" logo:

Name:  6e376aa32a_640_zps6gtrdgdh.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  55.4 KB

Firebird **** for reference:

Name:  qxtaf5_zpsrm4gouna.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  136.1 KB

I'm using the 97+ style because the 96's are impossible to find. I have my original but it's falling apart.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Thank you. Those are good links. Pulling off those manifolds is a PITA though eeck.

Is the H **** currently sold by SLP the same as the H one on the car? It is looking rough
I completely agree and would never take the time to pull the manifolds off other than if I was putting a set of Long Tubes on. Honestly in my opinion it is a pretty insignficant anomaly that I am not sure will ever have any importance but I guess is cool to note if I had one.

Regarding the Shifter **** I spent that last 3 years looking for one and only once was I even close. My recommendation would be just by the SLP or newer "oval" shaped one and remove yours for preservation of what is left if it means something. As far as finding another OEM here is what I have can suggest:

1. Check Ebay but more specifically Hawks Third Gen on a very regular basis. They had one 3 years ago which sold within an hour of being listed.

2. I have a reference from Ed at SLP to a shifter **** that was the shape as the ones they used. He suggested you might be able to find someone (aka an Upholstery Shop) who could take the "newer" oval shifter leather wrap and try to use the "H" Logo and surrounding leather on the old ****. There are very few good reference pictures but I am sure you could ask around for someone who has a good one and take to an upholstery shop to see if they think it is possilbe.

3. This is the extreme I took it to. I was actually calling all listings I found on C/L and Ebay and seeing if the would sell the shifter **** seperately for $$$ on top of me buying them the "newer style" and shipping it to them. I had one bite but listed my car the next week so did not pursue. His car has sold since.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rjc1629
Bandit, you need to get another one... I found one for you, hardtop and all

https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/cto/6041293307.html
Wow a D82 HT with neutral interior that has to be a pretty rare combo and has 2OTL. I might give him a call and see if it is a Zexel/AAM car if so it would be an option. I sold my R-Title for more than that lol.

I miss mine already and talk to the new owner every month lol. I honestly only sold it because the fact that I did not have the time to give the car the amount of work that it needed. I will own another in the next few years assuming the prices dont skyrocket like all 4th Gen owners think is coming.

I was expecting to pay closer to $10K but as clean as it looks this one might be worth a gander.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Ya, I was surprised how clean it was for the price. I'm not a fan of the interior color, but it's a good looking car for sure.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for info on the ****. I will buy the newer **** to use.

That one on Craigslist is a deal and interior color rare.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:51 PM
Staging Lane

Name:  18952535_10212192590102527_2594471202537752587_n_zps7wetgpgb.jpg
Views: 919
Size:  58.5 KB

97 6-speed, pacesetter longtubes and off road ypipe, black widow race venom dumped over the axle
Old 07-11-2017, 04:03 PM
Teching In

This is 96 SS #1503, I owned this car from Oct 2010 thru July 2014 and just ended up buying it back last week. The pics are from when I had it the first time, she had fallen on hard times and needs some love when I got her back.

Since you asked for pics, the below link has a lot from when i first owned the car.

http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/je...?sort=2&page=1
Attached Thumbnails Post Pics of LT1 SS.......!!!-img_3500.jpg   Post Pics of LT1 SS.......!!!-img_3501.jpg   Post Pics of LT1 SS.......!!!-img_3502.jpg  

Last edited by jecpontiac; 07-11-2017 at 04:05 PM. Reason: fixed link

Quick Reply: Post Pics of LT1 SS.......!!!