Staff Vehicles Showcase Check out the rides that belong to the LS1TECH Staff.

LS1TECH.com GTO - Twin Turbo Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 08:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Cool LS1TECH.com GTO - Twin Turbo Installed!

Here is our project GTO, fresh from the paint shop (Richey Collision in Houston, TX). We installed the Monaro nose and emblems, and a set of Ruff Racing 19" wheels/tires. The wheels are hyper black with machined lips under clearcoat, which are important for low maintenance since this is a daily-driver. I had to roll the rear fender lips to clear the tires. Here are the vital stats on those:

Ruff Racing model 279 (purchased on ebay)
19x8.5 fronts (35mm offset) w/ 245/35-19 Nitto tires
19x9.5 rears (45mm offset) w/ 275/30-19 Nitto tires

The Holden Monaro nose and emblems came from JHP in Australia. Richey Collision did a great job on filling in and smoothing the gap and holes where the license plate typically would mount on the bumper.

Now all we need is the APS twin-turbo to show up from Australia

If you are going on the Hotrod Power Tour, I'll be doing the long haul from Texas to Ohio to Arkansas in this car

Tony
Old 06-10-2007, 08:29 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

We just completed the Hotrod Power Tour yesterday. Over 3,000+ miles in comfort

So many people were confused about what the car is, it got a ton of attention that I didn't really expect in that sea of musclecars and hotrods.

APS twin-turbo showed up while I was gone. Now I just need to find some time to get it into the car!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

The LS1TECH project GTO now has a pair.

I've just picked up the 2006 GTO from having the APS twin-turbo (tuner kit) installed over at MTI here in Houston. Chris and Jayson did an excellent job on the installation and dyno tuning, as usual. Thanks guys!

Overall, I'm very impressed with this APS kit, I believe the smile is still stuck on my face after driving it for the first time today. Gotta love the way twin turbos spool and make all kinds of cool sounds. I loved this GTO even before modifying it, but now I really love this car. It needed a good kick in the pants! The car was 100% unmodified before putting the turbo system on, and is still 100% stock other than the turbo system, 60# fuel injectors, and a KB Boost-A-Pump. Yes, stock exhaust system, stock internal LS2, stock clutch, etc.. The turbo system was installed as-is, out of the box with the preset factory boost settings (6.5 psi).

Dyno Results: 540 rwhp & 534 ft-lbs SAE Corrected @ 6.5 psi on 93 Octane

The car still drives/sounds completely stock until you floor it. It is very quiet, and even the turbo system is very quiet. The blowoff valves exit into the intake tube, and the wastegates exit into the exhaust system. You get a faint hint at the blowoff valves in sequence when you floor it and shut the throttle. Turbo whine is there, but minimal. The car has very little lag below 3,000 rpm, and hardly any lag after 3500 rpm. Power comes on very quickly around 3000 rpm and just pulls and pulls. It was important to me to keep this car quiet and enjoyable as a daily driver, we even put over 3,000 miles on it last month for the Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour. I didn't want the hassles of loping cams, surging low rpm drivability, or loud exhausts and rattles. The car is flat out nice to drive, now it is even quick too.

Anyways, here are some photos of the install, they speak for themselves.

Here is how the APS kit looks by itself:

That is just a fancy cold air intake tube, the car is stock

Here is an APS billet blowoff valve. Outlet goes into the intake tube:

The front-mount intercooler is coated black, very stealth!

The APS kit tucks in high, not a single inch of ground clearance lost:

Dual TIAL wastegates exit into the exhaust system after the turbos

Old 12-11-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE SEPTEMBER 2008.

Purchased the vehicle from Tony while home in the states on vacation. The car is meticulously built. The OEM level of design for the APS turbo kit is unrivaled. The Holden conversion looks great and draws attention every where I drove it. The Turbo's spool very nicely. The power delivery feels smooth and linear. Was able to record 27-28MPG driving @ 80MPH from Houston to San Antonio. Also took the car over 160 and it tracks nice and straight.

I haven't be able to drive the car for about 3 months now but I still smile when I think about how much fun this car is to drive. I have another Admin watching and driving the car while I'm away overseas working. He's thoughly impressed with the car and loves to drive it too.

Hats off to a very well built ride. I'm glad I was able to purchase it.

Quick Reply: LS1TECH.com GTO - Twin Turbo Installed!