Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Shift Light Question HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 08:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Light Question HELP

How do wire or what do you wire a shift light to in these cars. I wired up my light and it will not work right. Wired up my playback tach and it is way off. Ive heard many things why it dont work but just to add some info my car has 4 wheel aerospace brakes(no abs) and a aftermarket turbo 400. I was told the car has to have a working speedo and abs witch made no sense to me but what do I know about it I cant get it to work right?

Basicly were does the green wire go to in order for it to work right.

Thanks
Old 10-20-2008, 05:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Didn't the light come with instructions? I believe there is a tach or shift light interface that you can buy for these cars. Maybe its necessary? Seems like the signal wire for any coil would give you an accurate rpm signal. Im not sure though.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Two different threads that will help you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....14&postcount=3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/496034-installing-raptor-shift-light-ls1-f-body.html

3 wire hookup. + , - , and Pin #10 right out of the lower (red) connector on the PCM. It's a white wire that will be tapped and go to the tach signal on your tach/shift light. It is Pin #10 for years 1999-2002. 1998 is pin #35 I believe.

Only one wire goes into the engine bay, the tach lead. There is a grommet on the passenger side firewall behind the PCM. You'll have to remove the PCM to get to it. Drop the kick panel on the passenger side floorboard and you're golden.

Both the power and ground will be inside your car. I tapped the pink wire from my TCS switch near my shifter. You can also tap into the fuse box on the drivers side of your dash. There are three smaller slots on the fuse panel, marked ACC, IGN, BATT. The Ignition will be fine, since you only want power going to the shift light when the ignition is on. You'll also want the tach/shift light to be in 4 cylinder mode.

Let us know if you get it.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you get it figured out Guy? On my 98 the shift light is tapped into pin # 35 (white wire) on the top (blue) connector.