Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Courtesy Lighting - Need Help - Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Courtesy Lighting - Need Help - Wiring

So i'm thinking of putting some white cathodes/LED bars in the interior underneath the dash. But I want it to activate when the car is unlocked, or when a door opens, just like the dome lights. I would think I'd have to tap the power into some kind of wire for this. Could someone point me in a direction or help me out?

Thanks
Old 11-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

You have to wire both the power and ground to the courtesy light circuit at the BCM. The BCM controls the ground to provide the theater dimming effect of the courtesy lights so just using the courtesy power feed will result in lights that stay on almost all the time. On the other hand, if you use some other power source, you give up the battery saver protection that turns everything off after 10-15 minutes if you leave a door ajar.

The courtesy light power feed is on the dark blue with white stripe wire in the black 6-pin connector at the BCM. The ground is on the white wire in the 32-pin blue connector at the BCM.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:45 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks whitebird. The BCM is under the dash correct? So are you saying that the lights will stay on all the time?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The BCM is a black box about the size of a paperback book mounted to the ductwork under the dash behind the glovebox.

The lights will stay on almost all the time if you connect only the power wire to the courtesy light circuit and use your own chassis ground. That's because the BCM turns off the courtesy lights by removing the ground on the white wire but leaves power available on the dark blue with white wire to power the map lights in the mirror.

If you use both the power and ground wires from the courtesy light circuit then your lights will work exactly like the factory courtesy lights.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just removed the dome light bulb and spliced in wiring to power all my interior UV LED lighting. With all the LEDs powered up, I'm using just under what the stock filament bulb used- gotta love those milliamp LEDs.
Sorry about the lighting. UV is difficult to photograph.

Looks sic when anyone gets inside wearing anything white!
Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, buy tapping into the dome light power, the lights go on/off just like the stock dome light; when the doors open/close, when I manually turn on the interior lighting, and when I take the key out of the ignition.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks both of you.

Cobra hunter, your saying you used the power and ground from the dome light above the back seat? I don't use that dome light anyway.
Would you mind elaborating a bit more on how you ran everything? Whatever you have on the ceiling looks sweet too.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You do not want to use cathodes for this operation if you plan on connecting to the courtesy lighting. Normal fluorescent ballasts will eventually be damaged from dimming. Might want to add this to a switched power
Old 11-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Brian2006
You do not want to use cathodes for this operation if you plan on connecting to the courtesy lighting. Normal fluorescent ballasts will eventually be damaged from dimming. Might want to add this to a switched power
Yeah, I was wondering about that but I wasn't sure if CCFs had the same problem. My wife's motorcycle has CCFs with an audio sensor that makes them "dance" to music.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay......

So, with the exception of the 4 single LEDs installed in the dome, the rest of my setup uses LED flex-strips (6-12 LEDs per strip).

Basically, from the dome wires (power & ground), I did a Y-split; 1 wire (a)powers all 4 single LEDs in the dome, and the other wire (b) I ran along the roof and down and behind the left speaker panel.

I then ran it underneath the driver rocker panel, and right about next to the seat controls, I brought the wire back out. From here I did a Y-split: 1 wire powers the LED strips for the driver's seat, and the second powers the LEDs in the driver's foot well. From here I split off again: this wire powers the LEDs on the passenger side (which has the same setup as the driver side). The last LED strip in my chain is an LED strip in the passenger foot well.

It did take a bit of time to get the wiring done right. A couple of times when I tested the LEDs, 1 or 2 stips (in the middle of the chain) didn't light up. So I had to retrace my steps. But in the end, it all worked out great.

I've had this setup for about a year and they ALL still light up and function correctly.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Yeah, I was wondering about that but I wasn't sure if CCFs had the same problem. My wife's motorcycle has CCFs with an audio sensor that makes them "dance" to music.
I've got CCFs in my trunk and the same principal applies.

If it were me, I'd use LEDs.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah, if I go through with this I will definitely use LED bars or something. I'm probably just going to do white bars to shine under the dash when you open the door, I find that to be the cleanest, most OEM look. Any other ideas as far as this goes?

I love how the new camaro has the blue-lighted trim around the interior, unfortunately that can't really be done, lol.
Old 11-12-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cathodes would offer better lighting. Maybe wire a relay to the cathode transformers where it would act as an on/off switch?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Teching In

that UV lighting looks f**kin sexy as hell... did you do the doors and glove box too cobrahunter? if so how difficult is it?