Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

i know it been posted but shift light wiring question...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i know it been posted but shift light wiring question...

ok so i just got my raptor shift light in the mail and am wondering what is the best way to get the most accurate RPM reading? i ask because i found out this past summer that while racing at the track my factory tach seems to be a little slow. i red line at 6800 and according to my tach i was hitting rev limiter at ~6500 which would hurt my shifting and overall ETs.

so as per Raptor instructions it says to wire the light to my "tach out" signal wire and if i were to do that wouldnt my shift light be slow just like my tach is because they are both using the same signal wire?

isnt there another way to wire on to a coil wire? if so which coil? wich wire? and what should my PPR be set to? in the instructions it says that mustangs using coil on plug ignitions cn wire the shift light to one coil and the PPR is to be set at 1/2 PPR. can this work on an ls1?
Old 01-09-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

its the factory tach not the factory wiring
Old 01-10-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

what do you mean by this?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He is saying the actual tach gauge on the cluster is off, not the signal wire.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Two different threads that will help you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....14&postcount=3

https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/496034-installing-raptor-shift-light-ls1-f-body.html

3 wire hookup. + , - , and Pin #10 right out of the lower (red) connector on the PCM. It's a white wire that will be tapped and go to the tach signal on your tach/shift light.

Only one wire goes into the engine bay, the tach lead. There is a grommet on the passenger side firewall behind the PCM. You'll have to remove the PCM to get to it. Drop the kick panel on the passenger side floorboard and you're golden.

Both the power and ground will be inside your car. I tapped the pink wire from my TCS switch near my shifter. You can also tap into the fuse box on the drivers side of your dash. There are three smaller slots on the fuse panel, marked ACC, IGN, BATT. The Ignition will be fine, since you only want power going to the shift light when the ignition is on.

Let us know if you get it.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

So where to you plan to mount the shift light?
I installed mine in the ac vents above the radio.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

oh ok i get it now. thanks for all the help. as for where im gonna mount it im not 100% sure yet. i wanted to put it in the dash vent but not too sure yet.

Quick Reply: i know it been posted but shift light wiring question...