Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Use a WOT or TPS switch to disable relay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Use a WOT or TPS switch to disable relay?

I hope one of you electrical gurus can give me a hand, possibly whitebird. I have a voltage issue under WOT. Under cruising and part throttle, the voltage is fine and steady at 13.5volts. It only drops under WOT.
I have upgraded the big 3 wires, the alternator is 200 amps, the battery is a brand new Interstate that has 1000 cold cranking amps, 800 cranking amps. I even installed a Caspers volt booster, which didn't seem to do too much.

There are just a lot of things on the car. BigStuff3 computer, electric water pump, methanol injection pump, Magnafuel 4303 fuel pump that draws ALOT of power, trans cooler fan, and other little stuff. I think under WOT it is just too much of a draw on the battery.
I think all I can do is find a way to cut the power to some of the things that dont need to be on under WOT. What if I was able to disable the fans, but only during WOT? I know that the factory PCM already does that, but I am using a Big Stuff 3 computer which doesn't have that feature. The current cooling fans are controlled by Big Stuff 3, and the power is being sent to them via two relays. Would it be possible to use something like a WOT or a TPS swtich to disable the relays, so the cooling fans stop getting power when I would punch it?