Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2002 Ws6 Map lights won't click on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 11:42 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 Ws6 Map lights won't click on.

Map lights don't come on when either button is pressed under the rearview mirror. They do come on when the door is opened (they are programmed to fade, which works ok). They also come on when the interior light switch is rotated to the "on" position.... they can be clicked "off" at this point also. I checked voltages at the wiring connector (at the mirror) and it appears to be correct: 1 constant ground; 1 constant hot; and the third changes state. Seems like this is a goofy way for these things to work. One would think that they should click "ON" then click "OFF" by the push of the button under the mirror.
I checked all fuses w/ a meter and all appears to be good. I didn't find any other threads or posts with this same problem.

-------------Help -------Help
Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The only difference between the manual map lights and the automatic courtesy lights is the ground. Both get power from the BCM though the dark blue with white wire. The courtesy lights have a variable ground through the white wire - this is how the theater dimming effect is controlled. The manual map lights have a standard ground through the black wire.

Since you have already tested the wires, I would say the problem is with the wiring inside the mirror housing. The map light switches are SPDT - they "flip" between the white variable ground wire and the black standard ground when pressed. If the internal wiring from the switches to the black wire is damaged, it would create the symptoms you describe... including the fact that the courtesy lights go off when pressing the switches.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch. That's what I kinda, thought so I'll be taking the mirror apart and test the continuity and voltages in there.