Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Will a Kenwood Ecelon DNX8120 fit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a Kenwood Ecelon DNX8120 fit?

I'm looking at purchasing this unit but am not sure if it'll fit. I'm not too concerned if the dash opening is too small but as long as it'll fit in the actual dash. I found someone who will customize my bezel to fit so I'm good on that part. Crutchfield says the depth is only 5-5/16th in the dash, now that is with that plastic support thing that sticks up in the rear correct? I have a Jensen flip out DVD player now and it fits with no issues which makes me wonder. If I was at home right now I'd just measure it myself but I'm out of town on business. The main thing for me is I want a touch screen Nav unit but I don't want to go hacking up the inside of my dash. Just some tips on what all needs to be done would be great. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That plastic tab on the inside of the dash at the back of the radio is needless. Get a dremel tool, and cut it out with a cutting wheel. Takes less than a minute and you won't miss it. Most double DIN units will not fit with this intact. I have a Kenwood 7100, and it fit, yours shouldnt be much different.

As far as the bezel goes, you can trim your stock bezel (or buy a spare) and trim the height out by making a cut about halfway into the upper and lower bends of the plastic and smoothing it out. It doesn't look bad. There will be a slight gap on the sides of the radio so a piece of plastic cutout to fit around it wedged between the radio and the bezel will make it look nice. Or you could form one, either way works.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the answer I was looking for, thanks for the help! I'll be ordering this bad boy next week. Sweet. Thanks again!