Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rearview mirror w/ temp/compass/homelink? easy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rearview mirror w/ temp/compass/homelink? easy?

All right guys, I've searched a lot for this and found nothing, so I am posing this to you, hoping someone has an answer. I have a 99 Z28 Vert that has the standard rearview mirror with the maplights. How difficult would it be to swap that one out with a rearview mirror that has the outside temp/compass display and also the homelink buttons? What all would I need to add to make it work properly? Has anyone done this before, even in a different vehicle maybe? I'd like to pursue this, as it would be cool to have the temp/compass, and would clean up the garage door opener to have the homelink.

Thanks for any help guys,
Nick
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 AM
On The Tree

Here is an old thread about it although it seems the pics aren't working on the OP's first post.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-any-more.html
Old 02-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, thanks Havoc, that appears to answer most of my questions. That one may have been too old that I might have missed it or something, who knows. From that though, I'm assuming that everything will work as far as power is considered. Will just have to run the wires for the outside temp sensor and find a good place to mount it up by the grille. I was thinking there could have potentially been another wire or two that would need to be ran. If my assumption is correct though, GM was somewhat smart about how they did it. I think I'm probably going to try this this summer, so when/if I do, I'll be sure to take lots of pics and post them up for everyone to see. I'm just really surprised more people haven't done this yet.

Thanks and more input is always welcome if anyone else knows more about this.
Nick
Old 02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

So apparently I'm an idiot, or did something wrong when I searched. I just looked again and found a few more threads that address this. From what I've read, my assumptions appear to be correct. The new mirror should function properly with the power and ground wires already there for the maplights. The wires just need to be ran for the temperature sensor, and it is best to get a new harness for this. If you splice the wires and it is not the correct length to the sensor that it was calibrated at, then the temp will be off by a constant amount. The type of sensor bases it on the resistance in the wire, so a changed length would skew that. Looks like a pretty simple install, just need to fork over $240 - $400 depending on where you buy it from, and an hour or two of time to do it.

Thanks for the help,
Nick
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Oh and for those of you curious about this too, the part number that you need is 50-GENK-60. There are a ton of different p/n's out there, but as far as I can tell, this is the only one that has the maplights with the homelink/compass/temp. Hope this helps somebody else too.

Last edited by MIZ28Vert; 02-09-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

No problem man, Post up some pics or a write up when you get done with it.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by MIZ28Vert
, just need to fork over $240 - $400 depending es it on the resistance in the wire, so a changed length would on where you buy it from, and an hour or two of time to do it.

Thanks for the help,
Nick
Or check ebay or junkyard. I have a mirror with compass,temp and auto dim from an 08 silverado that wound up getting totaled. A mechanic had an old no frills mirror in his bay and we swapped it. I just payed $40 for the harness of ebay.
No map lights though.

Quick Reply: Rearview mirror w/ temp/compass/homelink? easy?