Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

ipod to factory stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod to factory stereo...

i lookin into getting these hook up for my trans am 2001 ....just curious ifanyone know if the will work with ...playback and charging of my ipod touch

here are the links

http://www.autotoys.com/x/product.php?productid=8030

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=724

or this one

http://www.peripheralelectronics.com...x?ProductID=37
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Staging Lane

Looks like the search function is down. There must be 500 threads on this. Check the monsoon FAQ at the top.

"Adding an auxiliary input to the factory system involves using an adapter that only works on certain models. Even the adapter manufacturers aren't clear on which models will work so here is the rundown. Auxiliary adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit will only work with head units that are capable of controlling the factory external CD changer. Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies. All cassette head units were capable of controlling the factory changer. Only late '99 and newer models of single CD head units could connect to the factory changer. There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit so you're best to go with 2000 or newer. '01 and '02 models had the added ability to control more than one external device so you could have both the changer and an auxiliary device attached - prior to that it was only one or the other. Auxiliary input adapters are made by PIE (Peripheral Interface Electronics), PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) and USA Spec. The PAC adapters require a factory changer to work even though you can't use the changer after installing the adapter so one of the other two products are probably a better choice. PIE and USA Spec also make iPod-specific adapters that allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel controls and also recharge the iPod battery.
"

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-09-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

Default hey

all good information but all i need to know was if the ones im lookin at for my 2001 trans am ws6 with just the single cd player ...meaning no 12 dics changer ....WORK ...thanks
Old 02-09-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdrummer
all good information but all i need to know was if the ones im lookin at for my 2001 trans am ws6 with just the single cd player ...meaning no 12 dics changer ....WORK ...thanks
Even if you do not have a changer your car is wired for it. Did you even read my reply? The answer is all there.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 02-09-2009 at 08:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Default hey

no i did read it ...sorry if i came across as pricky ....in your opinion which one is the best PIE or the usa spec??? thanks man
Old 02-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Staging Lane

no i did read it ...sorry if i came across as pricky
Ditto

in your opinion which one is the best PIE or the usa spec??? thanks man
Wish I could tell you. I know there are a ton of reviews here but they are hard to find with the search function being down. I personally have not used either one. My current TA is a 99 with an early head unit that does not support a changer. I did add a CD changer to my 01 WS6 though and I can assure your car has the wiring in place and it will control it as long as your head unit has not been replaced with an earlier one.