Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HELP - My WS6 has an intermittent starting problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default HELP - My WS6 has an intermittent starting problem.

02 WS6 M6 48,000 miles.
The car has done it twice in the last two days without warning. It's like the battery has been removed from the car. No dings, no lights, no warning lights, no cranking, no locks, no windows, no alarm...Nothing! Thought it might have a short so I checked the battery with a meter to see if it's dead = 12.41 Volts. The first time it did it (Wednesday), there was a clicking noise coming from the Ignition Relay. I disconnected the battery and waited a few minutes. I re-connected the battery and it started, but idled rough. The relay had stopped chattering. Turned the car off and back on and it idled fine. Drove a few miles to an advance auto and bought a new ignition relay and it was fine for 2 days.
Friday night it did the same thing. This time the relay didn't chatter. Still 12.4V at the battery. Disconnected/Reconnected the battery and it started, but idled rough. Turned it off and back on and it idled fine. The 50A ignition fuse is okay.
The only thing I've done to the car electrically is a skip shift eliminator, a peripheral isimple ipod interface kit, and added a Susquehenna Motorsports Headlight relay kit for the 150mm Bosch Headlight Conversion. It draws power from the battery and uses relays to turn the original headlight wiring into a control circuit. No cutting or splicing...It's plug n play and seems to be working fine.
My wife said that a few times over the last 2 or 3 months she's noticed that when starting the car there will be a slight hesitation before the starter engages.
It's got me bewildered. Anybody encountered this or have an idea of what the problem could be?