Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Major Firehawk stereo overhaul - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Firehawk stereo overhaul - need advice

My driver's side sail panel speaker's dead.
My driver's side door speakers are dead (or at least one is).
The head unit doesn't read CDs.

Time to do some upgrading.

For finance's sake, I'm hoping to leave the amp and rear hatch speakers in place, but I still need a new head unit, new sail panel speakers, and new door speakers.

1) Sail panel. CVT654s or 04SSMB6s, and why?
2) Do I have to do anything other than screw them into place? What's Dynamat for, and how much am I disassembling to use it? Do I need to build an enclosure to get 'em to make much sound? I'd rather not - I'm lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy.
3) Head unit. I'm seeing everything at Crutchfield pop up with the warning that I need to modify the enclosure. Is it that the factory HU is shallower than all the aftermarket ones? Anyone got a picture of what the hole looks like with the factory HU removed? I'd like to keep the stock bezel...

More later. I'm also accepting suggestions for the door speakers.

Thanks, all.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by KalTorak
I'd rather not - I'm lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy.
A lot of non-geeks won't get that one 'cause they won't know that ^H means backspace.

The head unit modification note is merely because the factory HU is 1.5 DIN and aftermarket replacements are generally 1 DIN size. That means you'll have to get a mounting kit that fills up the extra space - not a problem, they're readily available and inexpensive.

Check with Kee Audio (a sponsor here). He can set you up with replacement speaker sets that will work well with the Monsoon amp and wiring in any price range. Those Kicker speakers are single voice coil and won't work well with the DVC setup in the Firehawk sail panels.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im very happy with my polk components, with stock radio and amp. circuit city sells these so you could see if yours still has some you maybe can get an awesome deal.

and i dont think dynomat is necessary, but ive never upgraded the sails so i guess it could create rattles. anywhere else no way, not on a budget. unless you hate road noise or something.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
A lot of non-geeks won't get that one 'cause they won't know that ^H means backspace.

The head unit modification note is merely because the factory HU is 1.5 DIN and aftermarket replacements are generally 1 DIN size. That means you'll have to get a mounting kit that fills up the extra space - not a problem, they're readily available and inexpensive.

Check with Kee Audio (a sponsor here). He can set you up with replacement speaker sets that will work well with the Monsoon amp and wiring in any price range. Those Kicker speakers are single voice coil and won't work well with the DVC setup in the Firehawk sail panels.
You're probably right about ^H, but that just makes me sad.

1.5 DIN - that makes sense, but I'm seeing those same warnings about the aftermarket radios sticking out a half inch.

And Mr. Kee's welcome to share any thoughts he might have.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The sticking out problem is easy to fix. There is a rear support for the factory radio that gets in the way of deeper aftermarket units. The support is easy to cut off or bend out of the way.