Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub & Amp wired to Monsoon - cant toggle amp on/off

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub & Amp wired to Monsoon - cant toggle amp on/off

Car in question is 97 Camaro with Monsoon system..

I just partially finished installing a single MTX sub with MTX single channel amp. I tapped into the rear hatch speakers with speaker-to-RCA wires and pluged into the amp...

The good - it works and turns on and off with the factory deck

The not good - i ran the remote wire up to and tapped into the yellow wire at pin 9 on connector C1 which is hot on ACC, ON, and RAP and interrupted it by a switch so i can toggle the amp on/off at will...... however the amp is always on when the radio is on, even if i detach the remote wire completely

Something tells me the radio is telling the amp to stay on whenever the radio itself is on, how could i interrupt this signal so i can toggle the amp on & off at will with a switch?
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amp is probally doing signal sensing see if ur manual mentions this some amps its an option to turn on and off
Old 03-27-2009, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

you can just run a wire off of your 12 volt supply to the amp, put a toggle switch in there and then you can turn the amp on and off whenever
Old 03-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

just went out to the car and ran the stereo/sub again - when i disconnect the left side speaker input the amp remains on, when i disconnect the right side speaker input the amp shuts off

looks like this is where the amp is getting its signal from, any way to disrupt or override that?

the switch at the power wire would work but id need a hefty switch to do this, i was planning to run a small 16-14 ga toggle switch in the console