Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security System in '98 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System in '98 Camaro

My car ('99 z28) has always had a gremlin in the security system and I am just now getting around to fixing it. It is hard to describe what it does but I will give it a shot... basically the system (it is just the stock system) will activate for no reason and start wailing away. Sometimes it is when I am locking the car and shutting the door, sometimes it is when I am unlocking the car... sometimes it just goes off because the god damn thing is haunted. I have read some threads about the BCM being jacked up and I will look into this as the cause..... my power door locks also work intermittently and i think it is connected to the security system bugs. Anyone else had these problems? Any Ideas or places to look? Thanks.

p.s.
I know the previous owner had the same problems because he simply pulled the fuse for the horn so he wouldnt have to listen to it.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Actually, the alarm problem isn't uncommon. Most of the time it's caused by the shock sensor behind the right quarter trim panel in front of the spare tire. Unplug the sensor and see if the problem goes away. Then you can decide if you want to get a new one or just leave it disconnected.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Another way you can see if the shock sensor is acting up is check the little LED on it. Should be off, and tapping the sensor should make it come on for a few seconds. The system doesn't have to be armed or anything to check that.

Or, just unplug it and forget about it
Old 04-01-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A guy I know has the same problem... ill have to tell him about the sensor.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go figure! I am having the same problem and it just started 20 minutes ago! I'll check the sensor.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me know if that fixes yours or not!!