Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

help me get a decent component setup in my beach truck.. plz!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default help me get a decent component setup in my beach truck.. plz!

ive got a lifted 88 toyota 4runner that i recently put a new motor in. im wanting to put the stereo back in (my friend used to own the truck, had a nice system in it).

old setup was
-JVC KD-S30 head unit (nothing fancy)
-EDIT - im using a pioneer DEH P8MP now, i forgot i had it. its a damn good head unit, or was 5 years ago
-4" in dash speakers
-JL tweeters (2) of unknown model
-i found two JL XO-2b 2-way crossovers, im assuming those are for the tweeters, i understand that they filter out some of the signal so the tweeters operate in their desired range, but im not real sure what exactly im doing here, so input would be GREAT
-random 6x9's (2) in the back seat area
- JL 12" sub and some random amp (got stolen like 3 times).

id like to duplicate something similar to this setup(or.. if you have a different path to recommend im all ears?), or truly id like to improve it. it sounded good but in my opinion it was just adequate except for the sub of course. i listen to mainly rock music tho so the sub is a back burner item for me (i still want one)

really what im after from you guys is like component/brand name suggestions. im not trying to win any contests here, but i want it to sound good.

i am resuing the head unit, and id like to try and stay within $700

thanks for any input, im so incredibly illiterate in the stereo area

Last edited by Coreyc619; 06-10-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

You're going to want to put some 6.5" components up front, IMO. Not in the dash. Can you get some speakers in the door, or some kick panels, or something like that?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

yea that wouldnt be a problem at all. the only thing is the only place i have room to mount them in the door they'd be foot level blowing at the side of the seat lol. my dad has unlimited carpentar skills, he built me a console and some boxes for my old truck in my sig he could do whatever with this truck.. i guess it'd be worth the hassle. when you say 6.5's your talking about a round speaker correct?
Old 06-10-2009, 12:19 PM
On The Tree

one other quicky, would you say a 6.5" round speaker sounds better than a 6x9? ive never been impressed with 6x9's even when i spent big$.. coulda been some other newb error i made or something. i loooove my music loud but its gotta be clear
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Coreyc619
one other quicky, would you say a 6.5" round speaker sounds better than a 6x9? ive never been impressed with 6x9's even when i spent big$.. coulda been some other newb error i made or something. i loooove my music loud but its gotta be clear
A round speaker will always sound better than an equivalent oval speaker. The key word is equivalent - a good quality oval speaker may sound better than a cheap round one.

I still have an old 8-track I'm trying to get rid of to someone using 6x9 speakers since they're the same generation and level of technology. Let me know if you want it.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

haha i'll let my dad know lol