Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Adjustable flasher relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Adjustable flasher relay

Installed sequential tail lights in my 98 trams-am.Works great and looks so cool.Stock flasher relay flashes too fast for my taste.I reworked a 3 prong ford flasher as a adjustable flasher relay.Works great in the firebird as I can slow the lights down very slow.My problem is when I turn either right or left turn signal off the relay keeps clicking, unit I shut the key off.The 3 prongs on my flasher are +12vdc ,lamp output(load) and ground.On the stock firebird relay(thermo type) one prong is +12vdc and the other is lamp.The firebird's socket brown wire is constantly hot(key on run) and the purple wire is the lamp side.Is there any way to adapt this relay?What 12vdc input can i use that will controll the relay with the left and right turn signals. thanks
Attached Thumbnails Adjustable flasher relay-fk8c7n7f6s8rxk0.medium-1-.jpg   Adjustable flasher relay-fkwqr2gf6s8rxjx_medium.jpg   Adjustable flasher relay-fw3q0dcf6s8rxjw_medium.jpg  

Last edited by JOHNNY59; 07-05-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

The turn signal flasher (it's not a relay) is designed to be used inline before the turn signal switch so it is not dependent on which side signal is in use. In other words, the power is already cycling on/off (flashing) as it goes through the switch. Of course, current only flows through the flasher after the T/S switch has completed the circuit to the lamps so the flasher is essentially controlled by the T/S switch.

Quick Reply: Adjustable flasher relay