Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PLEASE HELP security light ? wont start

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PLEASE HELP security light ? wont start

well having a vats problem i think i was starting my car and it just stop in middle of the cycle and does nothing now i push started it to get it home but the security light was flashing the whole time so i pulled the panel from under the colum and tested the wires and i don't get anything ,so i tried to figure out how to bypass it and cant get the whole ohm thing figured out anyone have any ideas what it might be ?
Old 07-08-2009, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

I had the vats problem with my third gen and eventually put some resistors in the line but dont remember exactly what I did because I did it with a brainiac friend of mine and he did most of the work. If I can get a hold of him and/or remember what we did I'll let you know
Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Teching In

yeah thanks i really don;t know anything about this crap
Old 07-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First look at the pellet on your key. Is the metal contacts extruding from the pellet worn badly ? Replace the key. VATS consists of a embedded resistor in your key ( the pellet ) and contacts in your ignition switch.The pellet is one of 15 possible resistors ( only one factory assigned resistance value will start your car).The factory computer has to "see" the correct pellet to tell the car to start. If you tried to start the car three times with the wrong pellet or no pellet , it times out and will not start for 10 minutes even with the correct pellet. Any keymaker should have a replacement key with the correct pellet and it is not real expensive. If the car still does not start , the contacts in the steering column ignition cylinder ( where you put the key in ) are worn. There is way to bypass this once and for all , but I am not posting that in public. Not hard to do but you won't steal a Camaro /Firebird quick with this method. PM me.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

Clean it with alcohol. What I mean is, clean the little pellet on your key. Might wanna hit it with a clean eraser first,then the alcohol.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

take an OHM meter and stick a lead on each side of the keys resistor pellet. mine is a '00 and reads 376 OHMS, which is lower than what it should be. i need to clean mine and try it again. i deleted it out of the computer long ago but now i've got the light constantly on 24/7 in my dash. the other fix is putting a matching resistor on the ignition side of the wiring, series it in to fake the car seeing the correct pellet/resistance.