Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Alternator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alternator Problems

I am having some serious issues with my alternator!! I bought the car with 122,000 miles on it 3 years ago!! Now going on my 5th alternator with 147,000!! I am not to happy having to keep doing this since GM thought it would be funny as hell to put it on the bottom of the car!! Anyone have any suggestions or reason why this could be happening!! Thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

where are you getting the altenators from?
Old 07-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Teching In

I bought the one from Advance that came with a lifetime warranty but eventually they are not going to let me keep getting them!! I the first one about a month after i got the car so i can remember which one i bought!! I do know that someone rigged the plug that goes into the Alternator only has one big wire going into it!! Maybe a ground problem?
Old 07-19-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thats your problem..... Advance and autozone has poor electrical parts............ Try napa or carquest and possibly the dealer........... I am a technician and my company stopped dealing with advance about 4 years ago for the very same reason........... Not to down advance, they are a good parts supplier, just not starters, alternators, batteries or sensors.................
Old 07-21-2009, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tbarnard2
Thats your problem..... Advance and autozone has poor electrical parts............ Try napa or carquest and possibly the dealer........... I am a technician and my company stopped dealing with advance about 4 years ago for the very same reason........... Not to down advance, they are a good parts supplier, just not starters, alternators, batteries or sensors.................

Dead on. Never buy an electrical component for Autozone or Advance. I went through 2 of the damn things in less than a month. I payed a little extra and bought a Delco for the dealer and haven't had a problem since.

Also check your faults in the ECM to confirm that the control circuit from the ECM to the alternator is not throwing a trouble code. I won't make the light come on but if there is a fault there will be a code.