Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sound Dampening Info

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 05:57 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sound Dampening Info

I'm was trying to further reduce my exhaust drone. I have completely done my car in 80mil mat and still felt it needed more. I stumbled across this website. I was very impressed with the information and explainations.

I have NO affiliation and have purchased nothing from it. The info is great and I wanted to share it so we could all benefit. You don't see very many places telling you to buy less and minimize your expenses because the rest is overkill or to buy it local or somewhere else.

Ed

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Old 07-21-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had that link in my signature here for, what, 2 years? I now link the old version, when it was just about information, and not selling products.

By the way, as I have said many a time and will continue to say, foam is MUCH better than mat as a general purpose sound insulator. Mat is only good for vibrations. I do NOT recommend mat to be applied to an entire car, because it will not help as much as you think, and it will add way too much weight. I recommend strategically placed mat plus a layer of Secondskin Luxury Liner. Or you can use a couple layers of whatever foam - I first used Ensolite from RAAMAudio.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Secondskin overkill pro (3/8" closed cell foam) works good inside the doors(works great!), rear quarter panels, and inside the sail panels.