Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

All my lights flicker while the car is running.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All my lights flicker while the car is running.

I just bought this car about 2 weeks ago and ever since I bought the car, I've noticed that the lights flicker. Also so you can see the voltage guage bounce too. There is no sub in the car and uses the factory head unit.

The only modifications are MS3 cam, LS6 intake, tune, and then yesterday I did the aux modification to the stock head unit.

Is this something normal to a big cam car, or is my alternator going out? Could it also be a case of not having "the big three" done?

The last owner did have a sub system in the car, but he took it out before he sold it to me. I've stripped out the whole rear of the car and searched for something off and I haven't seen anything. But at the same time, if it was something small off, like a ground, I probably wouldn't notice.

What's my problem?
Old 07-25-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Most likely its the alternator. I had the same problem about six months ago. I went ahead and replaced it, and haven't had any problems, even after installing HIDs
Old 07-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Launching!

Damn it. I was affraid of that. I guess I need to replace it tho so that I can go ahead and install my sub and amp...
Old 07-25-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be your battery cables.
It's a good idea to upgrade them anyways seeing how you are installing an amp.
Think about doing that first before buying a new alternator or at least have the alternator tested.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Teching In

I swear its a gm thing everyone i owned i had alternator problems or i have bad luck.